American And Czech Troops Are Being Investigated For Allegedly Beating An Afghan Commando To Death

Author:
Publish date:
3rd Cavalry Regiment troopers observe a Javelin anti-tank missile live fire while deployed to Iraq, Oct. 4, 2018.

3rd Cavalry Regiment troopers observe a Javelin anti-tank missile live fire while deployed to Iraq, Oct. 4, 2018.

American and Czech troops in Afghanistan are under investigation for allegedly beating an Afghan Commando to death, The New York Times reported on Monday.

  • The 19-year-old commando, Wahidullah Khan, was in NATO custody after he was arrested for an insider attack against Czech soldiers at Shindand air base on Oct 22.
  • The attack killed Czech Cpl. Tomáš Procházka, 42, and wounded two other Czech soldiers.
  • According to The Times, Khan was arrested for the attack within hours by Afghan troops who then transferred him to NATO custody.
  • Afghan officials told The Times that Khan was returned to them later that evening, around midnight, beaten and unconscious. He died a short time later.
  • The insider attack Khan was accused of carrying out came just days after the top American general in Afghanistan, Gen. Austin S. Miller, dodged another.
  • On Oct. 18, an Afghan bodyguard killed the Kandahar police chief, intelligence chief, and wounded the provincial governor, U.S. Army Gen. Jeffrey Smiley, and two NATO contractors.
  • Army Col. Dave Butler, a spokesman for Operation Resolute Support, confirmed an investigation had been opened. He told Task & Purpose the Army's Criminal Investigative Division "will investigate to determine whether any potential misconduct occurred, and we will hold individuals accountable, as appropriate."

Read the full story at The Times >

SEE ALSO: Afghanistan, 17 Years Later: This Is What Winning Looks Like

WATCH NEXT:

Image placeholder title