A C-5M Super Galaxy Made A Daring Landing With Its Nose Gear Up At Travis Air Force Base

Bullet Points

A C-5M Super Galaxy strategic transport aircraft landed with its nose landing gear up at Travis Air Force Base ini California on Thursday evening, an Air Force spokesman told Task & Purpose.


  • The aircraft was returning from a contingency mission to the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility when it made the emergency landing, 60th Air Mobility Wing public affairs chief Capt. Lyndsey Horn told Task & Purpose in a statement.
  • None of the 11 crew members aboard, all assigned to the 349th Air Mobility Wing, were injured in the incident. The cause of the crash is currently under investigation.
  • This is the third time since mid-2017 that a C-5M was forced to land with its nose gear up: A similar incident occurred in March 2018 at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in Texas.
  • Before that, another C-5M made a similar landing at Rota Air Base in Spain in May 2017.
  • With a wingspan of 222 feet, the C-5M is the largest aircraft in the Air Force's inventory.

SEE ALSO: A-10 Warthog Makes Dramatic Belly Landing Without Landing Gear Or Canopy After Cannon Malfunction

WATCH NEXT: The U-2 At The Edge Of Space

(U.S. Air Force)

Two airmen were administratively punished for drinking at the missile launch control center for 150 nuclear LGM-30G Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles at F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Wyoming, the Air Force confirmed to Task & Purpose on Friday.

Read More Show Less
(DoD photos)

The U.S. Senate closed out the week before Memorial Day by confirming Gen. James McConville as the Army's new chief of staff and Adm. Bill Moran as the Navy's new chief of naval operations.

McConville, previously vice chief of staff of the Army, was confirmed on Thursday along with his successor, Lt Gen. Joseph Marin. Moran, currently vice chief of naval operations, was confirmed Friday along with his successor, Vice Adm. Robert Burke.

Read More Show Less

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is prohibiting service members who work there from being in the area of a Ku Klux Klan rally scheduled for Saturday in downtown Dayton, Ohio.

Read More Show Less
(Associated Press/Elise Amendola)

The Pentagon is producing precisely diddly-squat in terms of proof that Iran is behind recent attacks in the Middle East, requiring more U.S. troops be sent to the region.

Adm. Michael Gilday, director of the Joint Staff, said on Friday that the U.S. military is extending the deployment of about 600 troops with four Patriot missile batteries already in the region and sending close to 1,000 other service members to the Middle East in response to an Iranian "campaign" against U.S. forces.

Read More Show Less
(DoD photo)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday he will send about 1,500 American troops to the Middle East, mostly as a protective measure, amid heightened tensions with Iran.

However, the Republican leader played down the potential for military conflict in the region, saying he believed Iran did not want a confrontation with the United States.

"We want to have protection in the Middle East. We're going to be sending a relatively small number of troops, mostly protective," Trump said as he left the White House for a trip to Japan.

Read More Show Less