Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
California Marine Corps Recruiter Arrested For Alleged Sexual Assault
Sgt. Gonzalo Castro, a Marine Corps recruiter based in California, was arrested on July 28 after a 17-year-old girl alleged that he sexually assaulted her.
The student, who lives in Huntington Beach, went to the police in June, suggesting that a male recruiter and high school volunteer sexually assaulted her during the 2016-2017 school year, the LA Times reported.
Castro had been working as a recruiter at Ocean View and Marina high schools, and volunteered as a track and field coach at Marina, where the girl attended school.
The girl, who has not been identified, told police that she met the Castro when he volunteered with her high school’s track team. She claims that he sexually assaulted her during a training run that occurred off-campus.
Castro was taken into custody on suspicion of sexual assault, but was released on bond, authorities told the LA Times.
“This is an isolated incident and is not indicative of Marines as a whole,” Capt. Chad Hill, deputy marketing and public affairs officer for the 12th Marine Corps District, told LA Times. “We take this seriously, and this is not what the Marine Corps is about.”
Castro’s case isn’t the first issue of sexual misconduct by a recruiter, however. Just a month ago, the Wisconsin state court of appeals upheld a ruling that former Wisconsin Army National Guardsman Jesse Riemer was adequately punished by the military with a dishonorable discharge for soliciting sex from potential enlistees while working as a recruiter between 2012 and 2014. And in March 2016, an Illinois recruiter — Luis Fernando Maya — admitted to having sex with a 15-year-old girl he planned to recruit into the Marine Corps; he currently faces felony charges in the state.
Task & Purpose reached out to the Marine Corps and Protect Our Defenders, and we will update this story as more information becomes available.
Video footage of a purported "bombing of Kurd civilians" by Turkish military forces shown on ABC News appeared to be a nighttime firing of tracer rounds at a Kentucky gun range.
For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.
"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.
In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.
"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."
The U.S. military's seemingly never-ending mission supporting civil authorities along the southwestern border will last at least another year.
On Sept. 3, Defense Secretary Mark Esper approved a request from the Department of Homeland Security to provide a total of up to 5,500 troops along the border until Sept. 30, 2020, Lt. Gen. Laura Richardson, commander of U.S. Army North, said on Monday.
Editor's note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia announced on Monday it would hold a large test of its Strategic Missile Forces that will see it fire ballistic and cruise missiles from the land, sea and air this week.
The exercise, from Oct. 15-17, will involve around 12,000 military personnel, as well as aircraft, including strategic nuclear bombers, surface ships and submarines, Russia's Ministry of Defense said in a statement.