California man arrested in death of Army veteran found in trunk of car in Anaheim Hills

news
Antonio Silva, left, was arrested Monday in the alleged murder of Army veteran Adrian Darren Bonar, right, who was found dead in the trunk of an abandoned car in October (Anaheim Police Department)

A Santa Ana man has been arrested in the alleged murder of an Army veteran, Adrian Darren Bonar, whose body was found in October in the trunk of a deserted Lexus in Anaheim Hills.

Police officers arrested Antonio Silva on Monday, Nov. 18 in his home in the 2500 block of North Bristol Street in Santa Ana. Police arrested Silva on suspicion of kidnapping as well after finding and rescuing an adult male hostage in the home, department spokesman Sgt. Daron Wyatt said Wednesday.


Officials didn't disclose how detectives zeroed in on Silva or more information about the hostage. The kidnapping victim was held captive for at least a couple of days and was released from the hospital on Tuesday.

Police don't believe Silva has ties to a gang or a drug cartel, Sgt. Shane Carringer said, although more than four pounds of fentanyl, two handguns and two rifles also were found in the home.

On Oct. 17, CHP officers found the body of Bonar, 34, of Escondido, in a tarp in the trunk of a Lexus. The sedan had been left deserted for about two days in a dirt lot near the interchange of the 91 Freeway and the State Route 241 in Anaheim Hills, Wyatt said.

Bonar, the son of a Scottish restaurateur Brian Bonar, grew up in Escondido. He was honorably discharged after serving in the Army during the Iraq War.

Officials were mum on what led to the crimes or if Silva has any ties to Bonar or the hostage.

"Regardless of what Adrian may have been involved in, he's the victim of this crime," Anaheim Police Chief Jorge Cisneros said. "No one deserves to die in this fashion."

Officials said they are still investigating the case. If anyone has more information, they can call Anaheim police at 714-321-3669, Cisneros said.

©2019 The Orange County Register (Santa Ana, Calif.) - Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

No motive is yet known for last week's Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard shooting tragedy, which appears to have been a random act of violence in which the sailor who fatally shot two civilian workers and himself did not know them and did not plan his actions ahead of time, shipyard commander Capt. Greg Burton said in an "All Hands" message sent out Friday.

Machinist's Mate Auxiliary Fireman Gabriel Antonio Romero of San Antonio, an armed watch-stander on the attack submarine USS Columbia, shot three civilian workers Dec. 4 and then turned a gun on himself while the sub rested in dry dock 2 for a major overhaul, the Navy said.

"The investigation continues, but there is currently no known motive and no information to indicate the sailor knew any of the victims," Burton said.

Read More Show Less
A projectile is fired during North Korea's missile tests in this undated picture released by North Korea's Central News Agency (KCNA) on November 28, 2019. (KCNA via Reuters)

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea said it had successfully conducted another test at a satellite launch site, the latest in a string of developments aimed at "restraining and overpowering the nuclear threat of the U.S.", state news agency KCNA reported on Saturday.

The test was conducted on Friday at the Sohae satellite launch site, KCNA said, citing a spokesman for North Korea's Academy of Defence Science, without specifying what sort of testing occurred.

Read More Show Less

Since the Washington Post first published the "Afghanistan papers," I have been reminded of a scene from "Apocalypse Now Redux" in which Army Col. Walter Kurtz reads to the soldier assigned to kill him two Time magazine articles showing how the American people had been lied to about Vietnam by both the Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon administrations.

In one of the articles, a British counterinsurgency expert tells Nixon that "things felt much better and smelled much better" during his visit to Vietnam.

"How do they smell to you, soldier?" Kurtz asks.

Read More Show Less
Erik Prince arrives for the New York Young Republican Club Gala at The Yale Club of New York City in Manhattan in New York City, New York, U.S., November 7, 2019. (REUTERS/Jeenah Moon)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Erik Prince, the controversial private security executive and prominent supporter of U.S. President Donald Trump, made a secret visit to Venezuela last month and met Vice President Delcy Rodriguez, one of socialist leader Nicolas Maduro's closest and most outspoken allies, according to five sources familiar with the matter.

Read More Show Less
Soldiers with 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, walk in what could be mistaken for another planet. Kandahar, Afghanistan, Dec. 25, 2011 (Army photo/Sgt. Ruth Pagan)

(Reuters Health) - While army suicides have historically decreased during wartime, that trend appears to have reversed in recent decades, a new study of U.S. records finds.

Researchers poring over nearly 200 years of data found that unlike earlier times when there was a decline in suicide rates among U.S. Army soldiers during and just after wars, the rate has risen significantly since 2004, according to the report in JAMA Network Open.

Read More Show Less