The new Call of Duty: WWII gameplay and cinematic trailer just dropped and it’s everything fans have been waiting for. After a string of science fiction-themed first-person shooters, game developer Activision has taken the franchise back to where it all began: World War II.
You know what that means: Get ready to step into the boots of a paratrooper with the 101st Airborne behind enemy lines; or hit the beaches on D-Day; and trek across Europe as a badass Tommy Gun-toting grunt.
In the new trailer, which dropped on June 12, CoD fans get a brief taste of the beloved franchise’s upcoming 14th installment and it’s a fast-paced nostalgic slugfest. In the new video, soldiers stalk through trenches with flamethrowers as grenades sail through the air, and ordnance from low-flying dive bombers explode across the battlefield. Based on the trailer, it’s pretty much Saving Private Ryan and HBO’s Band of Brothers franchise, but in first person — “Currahee!”
Look familiar?Image via Activision
Through a mix of cinematics and in-game footage the trailer hints at what you can expect in terms of gameplay mechanics — some of which will be familiar to fans of Battlefield 1. You can run and gun before whipping out your entrenching tool to dispatch your foes, or just fix a bayonet and go charging into enemy ranks. Weapon attachments, a core part of the franchise’s allure, are likely to feature prominently, made apparent when a cami-net helmet clad soldier affixes a suppressor to his burp gun and mows down a line of Nazis.
The game will hit consoles and PCs on Nov. 3 and feature a full-length campaign, which will span the European theater of war. There’s also going to be a zombie survival mode, which means — yes, more Nazi zombies to beat to a bloody pulp — and of course: Multiplayer.
So, who else is ready to join the ranks of the greatest generation and head off to a hellish simulated warzone? Yeah, that’s what we thought.
The Marine lieutenant colonel removed from command of the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May was ousted over alleged "misconduct" but has not been charged with a crime, Task & Purpose has learned.
Lt. Col. Francisco Zavala, 42, who was removed from his post by the commanding general of 1st Marine Division on May 7, has since been reassigned to the command element of 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, and a decision on whether he will be charged is "still pending," MEF spokeswoman 1st Lt. Virginia Burger told Task & Purpose last week.
"We are not aware of any ongoing or additional investigations of Lt. Col. Zavala at this time," MEF spokesman 2nd Lt. Brian Tuthill told Task & Purpose on Monday. "The command investigation was closed May 14 and the alleged misconduct concerns Articles 128 and 133 of the UCMJ," Tuthill added, mentioning offenses under military law that deal with assault and conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman.
"There is a period of due process afforded the accused and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty," he said.
When asked for an explanation for the delay, MEF officials directed Task & Purpose to contact 1st Marine Division officials, who did not respond before deadline.
The investigation of Zavala, completed on May 3 and released to Task & Purpose in response to a Freedom of Information Act request, showed that he had allegedly acted inappropriately. The report also confirmed some details of his wife's account of alleged domestic violence that Task & Purpose first reported last month.
On Monday, Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans received a suspended sentence of 60 days in jail, said Samantha Dooies, an assistant to the New Hanover County District Attorney.
Evans must complete 18 months of unsupervised probation, pay $8,000 in restitution, complete a domestic violence offenders program, and he cannot have any contact with his former girlfriend, Dooies told Task & Purpose. The special operations Marine is also only allowed to have access to firearms though the military while on base or deployed.