'They Called Me Doc': The Newest Medal Of Honor Recipient Tells His Story Of Heroism In Vietnam

Community
Army photo

In May 1969, Spc. James McCloughan survived a 48-hour massacre — and never stopped fighting to save 10 members of his unit.


It’s been nearly 50 years since McCloughan, an Army medic who served with Charlie Company, 3rd Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment during the Vietnam War, and President Donald Trump on July 31 presented him with the military’s most prestigious award: The Medal of Honor.

“They called me ‘Doc,’ McCloughan said in a short Army video released in conjunction with the award ceremony. “It’s probably one of the best titles I’ve ever had.”

On the morning of May 12, 1969, four members of McCloughan’s unit were killed and 24 wounded after an ambush on base, and the medic spent most of that morning doing the best he could to patch them up before a medevac could carry them to safety. The very next day, Charlie Company was sent to Nui Yon Hill for what would become the most harrowing experience of their lives.

“It was a hot LZ,” McCloughan said. “The minute we got there, we were fired upon.”

Multiple times, McCloughan ran into the line of enemy fire, trying to lead his men to safety. At one point, when ammo and equipment were low, he even offered to hold a blinking light in an open area so a resupply helicopter could make a drop.

Through two days of heavy fire, McCloughan kept 10 men alive, including two who were critically wounded, until they were evacuated on May 15. The Army determined after that the battle reduced McCloughan’s company to just 32 men with 1,500 North Vietnamese Army and 700 Vietcong surrounding them.

When the medevac came for the wounded, McCloughan refused to be evacuated.

“I said, ‘you’re gonna need me,” McCloughan added. And he was right. Pfc. Dan Shea, the only other medic in the unit, was killed in the same firefight.

Despite being injured three times by shrapnel, McCloughan managed to make it out of Nui Yon Hill and a number of other missions in Vietnam alive. He spent five more months on tour. Now, at 71, he is a retired teacher living in Michigan.

Task & Purpose previously reported that McCloughan’s old platoon leader, Randy Clark, worked tirelessly to ensure that he was awarded the nation’s highest award for combat valor, making him the second medic in that unit to receive it. During the same battle, Shea was killed while carrying a wounded soldier to safety and was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor in 1971.

“I bargained with [God] that if he allowed me to live I’d become the best coach and teacher and dad that I could be,” McCloughan told the Army. “ I also promised that I’d hug my dad and tell him I love him.”

Army Sgt. Jeremy Seals died on Oct. 31, 2018, following a protracted battle with stomach cancer. His widow, Cheryl Seals is mounting a lawsuit alleging that military care providers missed her husband's cancer. Task & Purpose photo illustration by Aaron Provost

The widow of a soldier whose stomach cancer was allegedly overlooked by Army doctors for four years is mounting a medical malpractice lawsuit against the military, but due to a decades-old legal rule known as the Feres Doctrine, her case will likely be dismissed before it ever goes to trial.

Read More Show Less
The first grenade core was accidentally discovered on Nov. 28, 2018, by Virginia Department of Historic Resources staff examining relics recovered from the Betsy, a British ship scuttled during the last major battle of the Revolutionary War. The grenade's iron jacket had dissolved, but its core of black powder remained potent. Within a month or so, more than two dozen were found. (Virginia Department of Historic Resources via The Virginian-Pilot)

In an uh-oh episode of historic proportions, hand grenades from the last major battle of the Revolutionary War recently and repeatedly scrambled bomb squads in Virginia's capital city.

Wait – they had hand grenades in the Revolutionary War? Indeed. Hollow iron balls, filled with black powder, outfitted with a fuse, then lit and thrown.

And more than two dozen have been sitting in cardboard boxes at the Department of Historic Resources, undetected for 30 years.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

At least four American veterans were among a group of eight men arrested by police in Haiti earlier this week for driving without license plates and possessing an arsenal of weaponry and tactical gear.

Police in Port-au-Prince arrested five Americans, two Serbians, and one Haitian man at a police checkpoint on Sunday, according to The Miami-Herald. The men told police they were on a "government mission" but did not specify for which government, according to The Herald.

They also told police that "their boss was going to call their boss," implying that someone high in Haiti's government would vouch for them and secure their release, Herald reporter Jacqueline Charles told NPR.

What they were actually doing or who they were potentially working for remains unclear. A State Department spokesperson told Task & Purpose they were aware that Haitian police arrested a "group of individuals, including some U.S. citizens," but declined to answer whether the men were employed by or operating under contract with the U.S. government.

Read More Show Less

A Coast Guard lieutenant arrested this week planned to "murder innocent civilians on a scale rarely seen in this country," according to a court filing requesting he be detained until his trial.

Read More Show Less
(Getty Images/Spencer Grant)

(Reuters Health) - Military service members who are at risk for suicide may be less likely to attempt to harm themselves when they receive supportive text messages, a U.S. study suggests.

Read More Show Less