Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
At least 18 Army paratroopers reported injured during night training jump
At least 18 Army paratroopers were injured on Wednesday during a nighttime training jump at Camp Shelby, a Joint Forces Training Center run by the Mississippi National Guard.
According to CNN, three aircraft were in use during the exercise being carried out by the Alaska-based 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division. Capt. Ashley Sangster, 25th ID spokesperson, told CNN that during the first pass at one of the two drop zones, something went wrong, though officials are still working to determine what happened.
Daniel Szarek, a spokesman for Camp Shelby, told Task & Purpose on Wednesday that some paratroopers had "missed the intended drop zone."
"This is an ongoing investigation and more information will be released as it becomes available," he said.
Approximately 650 soldiers took part in the jump at 8 p.m. Eastern time, the unit said on its official Facebook page.
Lt. Col. Matt Myer, commander of 1st Battalion, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment, said in a Facebook post on Thursday morning that 87 paratroopers from the brigade had landed in trees, with some being stuck so high that "they required significant recovery support."
Of those 87, there were 18 paratroopers that were injured, Myer said. One soldier required surgery for a broken back but is expected to recover.
"Service as a paratrooper requires a level of toughness that most do not understand," he said. "Despite the difficulty of this training jump, the battalion performed well and will recover well to continue our training mission."
The brigade has been training at Camp Shelby for several days as part of exercise Operation Arctic Anvil.
Camp Shelby Commander Col. Bobby Gin told WDAM-7 the wind blew the paratroopers away from their drop zone into pine trees, where some had to be rescued after becoming entangled.
This story was updated on Oct. 3 at 11:55 a.m. EST.
A U.S. soldier died on Friday while in Syria supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the Defense Department announced on Saturday.
A word that could once not be mentioned in court — torture — was front and center on Friday as a military tribunal prepares to take on the long-delayed trial of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the confessed chief plotter of the 9/11 attacks, and four other defendants.
"I know torture's a dirty word," defense attorney Walter Ruiz told the tribunal. "I'll tell you what, judge, I'm not going to sanitize this for their concerns."
The suspect in the death of 21-year-old U.S. Marine Cpl. Tyler Wallingford, who was fatally shot in the barracks of the U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort more than nine months ago, was found guilty in military court of involuntary manslaughter earlier this month and sentenced to more than five years.
A 19-year-old Army private who died during basic training earlier this month was posthumously promoted to private first class, just before friends and family gathered for a memorial service to honor his life on Jan. 16.