Canadian Sniper Shatters Record For Longest Kill Shot, Canada Proudly Reports

news
Canadian snipers fire a McMillan TAC-50 Special Application Service Rifle during an known and unknown distance range with coalition members as part of exercise Dawn Blitz 2013 aboard Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif., June 12, 2013.
Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Alexander Quiles

The country that brought us Justin Bieber and poutine just added one more notch to its belt, and this one doesn’t serenade teenage girls or clog your arteries.


Last month, a sniper with Canada’s special forces smashed the world record for longest kill shot in military history, taking the life of an ISIS militant in Iraq from a mind-blowing distance of 3,540 meters, Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail proudly reports

That’s nearly (or aboot) a thousand meters greater than the previous record, which was set in Afghanistan in 2009 by British sniper Craig Harrison, who killed a Taliban fighter from a now not-so-impressive distance of 2,475 meters with a 338 Lapua Magnum rifle.  

The name of the Canadian sniper has not been released, but anonymous military sources told The Globe he was a member of Joint Task Force 2, an elite counterterrorism unit that made its big battlefield debut during the invasion of Afghanistan as part of Task Force K-Bar, and that the record-shattering kill shot was made with a McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle (also known as the MK 15, which is used by the Navy SEALs).

The Canadian Special Operations Command confirmed in a statement to the Washington Post that a member of "JTF2 successfully hit a target from 3,450 meters;" however, it did not provide details on how and when the incident took place, citing operational security concerns.

The sources also claimed that the fatal round took less than 10 seconds to travel from a high-rise building where the Canadian sniper was located to the target, who was apparently advancing on a group of local allies.

JTF2 commandos are currently training, advising, and assisting Kurdish peshmerga forces in northern Iraq alongside other Canadian special forces trainers, according to The Globe. And while they are technically not authorized to engage in direct combat, the commandos are allowed to accompany the Kurds to the front lines on “training missions” and mark targets for coalition air strikes.

“The shot in question actually disrupted a Daesh [ISIS] attack on Iraqi security force,” one source told The Globe. “Instead of dropping a bomb that could potentially kill civilians in the area, it is a very precise application of force, and because it was so far away, the bad guys didn’t have a clue what was happening.”

The kill was independently verified by video and “other data,” according The Globe.

“Hard data on this,” one military source told the newspaper. “It isn’t an approximation. There is a second location with eyes on with all the right equipment to capture exactly what the show was.”  

The Globe made sure to point out that — “despite the small size of the Canadian Armed Forces compared to the United States and Britain” — Canadian snipers now account for three of the top five world’s longest sniper kills.

In 2002, two Canadian snipers belonging to the same light infantry battalion set back-to-back world records during Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan within weeks of each other. Those two currently rank as number three and four behind Harrison, the Brit. The number five slot goes to U.S. Army Ranger Sgt. Bryan Kremer, who killed an Iraqi insurgent from 2,300 away in 2004. He was armed with a Barrett M82A1 rifle, according to The Globe.  

“Canada has a world-class sniper system,” one military source told The Globe. “It is not just a sniper. There is an observer. This is a skill set that only a very few people have.”

Update: This article has been revised to include details from a statement released by the Canadian Special Operations Command (6/22/2017 5:40pm EST).

WATCH NEXT:

Seven of the twelve Soldiers participating in the Army National Guard Military Funeral Honors Level 2 course at Fort Indiantown Gap practice folding the flag April 25. (U.S. Army National Guard photo by Staff Sgt. Zane Craig)

Retired Army Master Sgt. Mark Allen has died 10 years after he was shot in the head while searching for deserter Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl in Afghanistan.

Allen died on Saturday at the age of 46, according to funeral information posted online.

Read More Show Less

For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.

"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.

In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.

"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."

Read More Show Less
Defense Secretary Mark Esper (Associated Press photo)

Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Sunday he and the Pentagon will comply with House Democrats' impeachment inquiry subpoena, but it'll be on their own schedule.

"We will do everything we can to cooperate with the Congress," Esper said on CBS' "Face the Nation." "Just in the last week or two, my general counsel sent out a note — as we typically do in these situations — to ensure documents are retained."

Read More Show Less

Most of the U.S. troops in Syria are being moved out of the country as Turkish forces and their Arab allies push further into Kurdish territory than originally expected, Task & Purpose has learned.

Roughly 1,000 U.S. troops are withdrawing from Syria, leaving a residual force of between 100 and 150 service members at the Al Tanf garrison, a U.S. official said.

"I spoke with the president last night after discussions with the rest of the national security team and he directed that we begin a deliberate withdrawal of forces from northern Syria," Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Sunday's edition of CBS News' "Face the Nation."'

Read More Show Less

BEIRUT/ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Women affiliated with Islamic State and their children fled en masse from a camp where they were being held in northern Syria on Sunday after shelling by Turkish forces in a five-day-old offensive, the region's Kurdish-led administration said.

Turkey's cross-border attack in northern Syria against Kurdish forces widened to target the town of Suluk which was hit by Ankara's Syrian rebel allies. There were conflicting accounts on the outcome of the fighting.

Turkey is facing threats of possible sanctions from the United States unless it calls off the incursion. Two of its NATO allies, Germany and France, have said they are halting weapons exports to Turkey. The Arab League has denounced the operation.

Read More Show Less