CENTCOM: Cutting Troops In Afghanistan May Not Be Feasible

news
U.S. Army photo by Spc. Cameron Boyd

Editor’s Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared on Military.com, the premier source of information for the military and veteran community.


The outgoing commander of U.S. Central Command told lawmakers Tuesday it may be time to reconsider the plan to reduce American military forces in Afghanistan starting Jan. 1.

Gen. Lloyd J. Austin III acknowledged to members of the Senate Armed Services Committee that President Barack Obama's plan to cut forces from 9,800 to 5,500 by 2017 may no longer be feasible, given the recent increase in Taliban activity.

Sen. John McCain, a Republican from Arizona and chairman of the panel, told Austin that the Lt. Gen. John Nicholson, the new commander in Afghanistan "testified before this committee in no uncertain terms that the security situation in Afghanistan is deteriorating."

The senator asked, "Do you agree with that?"

Austin replied, "In part I agree. I think that Taliban have become more active and the [Afghan security forces] have been challenged over the last year."

McCain then asked Austin if that justifies rethinking further troop withdrawal in Afghanistan.

"You start with a plan and that plan is based on certain facts that you know at that time and assumptions that you make in order to continue planning," Austin said. "When the situation changes so those facts are no longer valid or the assumptions that you made are no longer appropriate, I think you have to go back and revisit your plan so I would agree that a review of the plan is in order."

Sen. Angus King, an Independent from Maine, told Austin he was concerned about the plan to get from 9,800 to 5,500 by the start of next year.

"You can't just turn a switch on Dec. 31," King said. "There has got to be a drawdown of some kind starting probably in late summer. Are you concerned given the heightened level of Taliban activity that we would be making a mistake by embarking on a drawdown of that nature?"

Austin agreed to review that plan and make adjustments if necessary.

"Is that happening? Is there a reassessment underway?" King asked.

"The new commander is on the ground and he is assessing things now, but at all levels, we will take a look at this and make the appropriate recommendations to the leadership," Austin said.

The article originally appeared on Military.com.

More from Military.com

Casperassets.rbl.ms

Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.

Take $75 off a Casper Mattress and $150 off a Wave Mattress with code TASKANDPURPOSE

And no one knows that better than military service members and we have the pictures to prove it.

Read More Show Less
A Chinese tank rolls at the training ground "Tsugol", about 250 kilometers (156 miles ) south-east of the city of Chita during the military exercises Vostok 2018 in Eastern Siberia, Russia, Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018 (Associated Press/Sergei Grits)

China is developing a lot of new and advanced weaponry, but a recent state media report suggests the Chinese military may not be entirely sure what to do with these new combat systems.

Read More Show Less
(The 621st Contingency Response Wing/Flickr)

The commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard called the ongoing partial government shutdown "unacceptable" following reports that some Coast Guardsmen are relying on donations from food pantries while their regular paychecks remain on hold.

"We're five-plus weeks into the anxiety and stress of this government lapse and your non-pay," Adm. Karl Schultz said in a video message to service members. "You, as members of the armed forces, should not be expected to shoulder this burden."

Read More Show Less

The U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs will implement changes next month that will simplify the process for how veterans make appeals.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Richard Sisk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The bigger and faster electromagnetic weapons elevator on the new aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford is finally ready for use, an achievement the Navy called a "major milestone" for the program and other Ford-class carriers to be built in the future.

Navy Secretary Richard V. Spencer said earlier this month that he had bet his job on getting all the Ford's elevators to work, telling President Donald Trump that the project would be done by this summer "or you can fire me."

Read More Show Less