The US Evacuated 9 Diplomats From China After They Experienced Strange Auditory Sensations

news

The U.S. has evacuated more diplomats from China after several workers in Guangzhou were diagnosed with brain injuries after hearing mysterious sounds.


At least nine Americans associated with the U.S. consulate in Guangzhou have been medically evacuated after workers complained of strange aural sensations, the Wall Street Journal reported.

An embassy notice in June confirmed that several employees were sent to the U.S. for further evaluation following complaints of unusual auditory phenomena. The warnings came as a government employee in Guangzhou was confirmed to have developed a brain injury consistent with that of 24 U.S. diplomats and their family members who fell ill in Cuba in 2016.

Related: US Diplomats In China Are Suffering Brain Injuries Like Those Linked To Mysterious ‘Sonic Attacks’ In Cuba »

But more than 250 people connected to diplomatic missions in China have received medical evaluations since complaints of the mystery illness arose, the Journal reported, citing an embassy notice sent last week.

In May the U.S. embassy warned all U.S. citizens in China to be cautious. Symptoms of the mystery illness include dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, cognitive issues, and difficulty sleeping, the Embassy said.

Both cases have prompted speculation of a "sonic weapon" attack or exposure to harmful frequencies. A February study of the victims affected by the mystery illness in Cuba suggested that an unknown force projected in the direction of the victims may have caused brain damage.

Americans working in Cuba suffered permanent hearing loss, severe headaches, loss of balance, brain swelling, and disruption to cognitive functions.

Related: Listen To The First Recording Of The ‘Sonic Weapon’ Sickening US Diplomats In Cuba »

Many of the victims remember strange occurrences before the symptoms appeared, though others didn't hear or feel anything.

One diplomat reported a "blaring, grinding noise" that woke him from his bed in a Havana hotel, according to the Associated Press. The AP also reported that some heard a "loud ringing or a high-pitch chirping similar to crickets or cicadas" in short bursts at night, while others said they could walk "in" and "out" of blaring noises that were audible only in certain spots.

Last month, the office of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced the establishment of a task force aimed at responding to these cases.

On Friday, Secretary Pompeo spoke to Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi about ongoing cooperation in relation to the increased frequency of illness emanating from Guangzhou, according to a State Department press release.

The State Department has previously advised that U.S. citizens in China experiencing strange auditory sensations should not attempt to locate the source, but instead should move to a different location. Citizens are also advised to seek medical advice if symptoms persist.

Read more from Business Insider:

WATCH NEXT:

(U.S. Air Force photo illustration/Airman 1st Class Corey Hook)

Editor's Note: This article by Richard Sisk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The Department of Veterans Affairs released an alarming report Friday showing that at least 60,000 veterans died by suicide between 2008 and 2017, with little sign that the crisis is abating despite suicide prevention being the VA's top priority.

Although the total population of veterans declined by 18% during that span of years, more than 6,000 veterans died by suicide annually, according to the VA's 2019 National Veteran Suicide Prevention Annual Report.

Read More Show Less
President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison at Pratt Industries, Sunday, Sept 22, 2019, in Wapakoneta, Ohio. (Associated Press/Evan Vucci)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Sunday that he discussed Democratic presidential hopeful Joe Biden and his son in a call with Ukraine's president.

Trump's statement to reporters about his July 25 call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky came as the Democratic leader of a key congressional panel said the pursuit of Trump's impeachment may be the "only remedy" to the situation.

Read More Show Less
"It's kind of like the equivalent of dropping a soda can into canyon and putting on a blindfold and going and finding it, because you can't just look down and see it," diver Jeff Goodreau said of finding the wreck.

The USS Eagle 56 was only five miles off the coast of Maine when it exploded.

The World War I-era patrol boat split in half, then slipped beneath the surface of the North Atlantic. The Eagle 56 had been carrying a crew of 62. Rescuers pulled 13 survivors from the water that day. It was April 23, 1945, just two weeks before the surrender of Nazi Germany.

The U.S. Navy classified the disaster as an accident, attributing the sinking to a blast in the boiler room. In 2001, that ruling was changed to reflect the sinking as a deliberate act of war, perpetuated by German submarine U-853, a u-boat belonging to Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine.

Still, despite the Navy's effort to clarify the circumstances surrounding the sinking, the Eagle 56 lingered as a mystery. The ship had sunk relatively close to shore, but efforts to locate the wreck were futile for decades. No one could find the Eagle 56, a small patrol ship that had come so close to making it back home.

Then, a group of friends and amateur divers decided to try to find the wreck in 2014. After years of fruitless dives and intensive research, New England-based Nomad Exploration Team successfully located the Eagle 56 in June 2018.

Business Insider spoke to two crew members — meat truck driver Jeff Goodreau and Massachusetts Department of Corrections officer Donald Ferrara — about their discovery.

Read More Show Less
(CIA photo)

Before the 5th Special Forces Group's Operational Detachment Alpha 595, before 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment's MH-47E Chinooks, and before the Air Force combat controllers, there were a handful of CIA officers and a buttload of cash.

Read More Show Less

The last time the world saw Marine veteran Austin Tice, he had been taken prisoner by armed men. It was unclear whether his captors were jihadists or allies of Syrian dictator Bashar al Assad who were disguised as Islamic radicals.

Blindfolded and nearly out of breath, Tice spoke in Arabic before breaking into English:"Oh Jesus. Oh Jesus."

That was from a video posted on YouTube on Sept. 26, 2012, several weeks after Tice went missing near Damascus, Syria, while working as a freelance journalist for McClatchy and the Washington Post.

Now that Tice has been held in captivity for more than seven years, reporters who have regular access to President Donald Trump need to start asking him how he is going to bring Tice home.

Read More Show Less