Air Force Special Tactics Chief awarded Silver Star for raining hell on the enemy in Afghanistan


VIDEO: Here's what it looks like on the receiving end of an A-10 Warthog's scary-as-f*ck gun run

An Air Force Special Tactics combat controller that "delivered thousands of pounds of munition" during a close-range 2007 firefight in Afghanistan was awarded the Silver Star on Friday.

Air Force Chief Master Sgt. Chris Grove, 720th Special Tactics Group superintendent, was presented with the Silver Star on Friday for valorous actions during a "disastrous" enemy ambush in Afghanistan in 2007, according to an Air Force Special Tactics press release.

Lt. Gen. Jim Slife, commander of Air Force Special Operations Command, presented Grove with the nation's third-highest combat medal, calling him an "example of the embodiment of the American Airman and a testament to the proud Special Tactics wing," per the release.

U.S. Air Force Chief Master Sgt. Chris GroveU.S. Air Force/Senior Airman Rachel Williams

"It's not about me, but more about our Airmen that are hauling the mail daily," Grove said, per the release. "There are hundreds of valorous acts, both in the last 18 years and to this day; I appreciate what our Air Force, [Air Force Special Operations Command], and Special Tactics Airmen are doing daily while prosecuting the nation's business."

In 2007, then-Tech Sgt. Grove was serving with the 23rd Special Tactics Squadron and deployed with U.S. Special Forces. On Nov. 2, Grove was on patrol with a Special Forces team as the joint terminal attack controller.

The patrol — covering an area that the press release says "was hammered by the largest Taliban offenses in the country" — quickly turned deadly when they came under attack by "an overwhelming force of heavy machine gun, rocket propelled grenade, mortar and rifle fire."

While Grove and his team took cover and returned fire, Grove then "exposed himself to a hail of gunfire" in order to establish an observation post, the press release says; he "controlled airstrikes from F-15 Strike Eagles, [coordinated] multiple 25mm strafes and six 500-pound bombs," all while directly in the enemy's crosshairs.

Because of the danger-close airstrike Grove expertly coordinated, the team was able to recover a fallen teammate, and ensure "no one was left behind."

"The best of our organization, whom Chief Grove epitomizes, maintain a steady sense of humility balanced with quiet confidence," Col. Matt Allen, commander of the 24th SOW, said. "[Grove] embodies the best of Special Tactics, the best of [Air Force Special Operations Command], and the best of the Air Force."

Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew becomes emotional while speaking about officer Katie Thyne during a press conference Friday morning Jan. 24, 2020 in Newport News, Va. Officer Thyne died Thursday night after being dragged during a traffic stop. (Daily Press/Jonathon Gruenke via Tribune News Service)

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — The police officer killed during a traffic stop in Newport News on Thursday night was a well-liked young officer who just graduated from the police academy seven months ago, Police Chief Steve Drew said at a somber news conference Friday.

Read More
Calvin Cooper (Facebook via Albuquerque Journal)

The airman who struck and killed a woman with his car last year near Kirtland Air Force Base is now headed to trial and facing possible prison time in the incident.

Read More
A military funeral at Fort Jackson National Cemetery in 2014. Photo: Sgt. 1st Class Joel Quebec/U.S. Army

A U.S. soldier died on Friday while in Syria supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the Defense Department announced on Saturday.

Read More
DoD photo

A word that could once not be mentioned in court — torture — was front and center on Friday as a military tribunal prepares to take on the long-delayed trial of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the confessed chief plotter of the 9/11 attacks, and four other defendants.

"I know torture's a dirty word," defense attorney Walter Ruiz told the tribunal. "I'll tell you what, judge, I'm not going to sanitize this for their concerns."

Read More

The suspect in the death of 21-year-old U.S. Marine Cpl. Tyler Wallingford, who was fatally shot in the barracks of the U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort more than nine months ago, was found guilty in military court of involuntary manslaughter earlier this month and sentenced to more than five years.

Read More