Army Identifies Sergeant Who Died While Deployed Supporting ISIS Fight

news
U.S. Army photo

Editor's note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared on Military.com, the premier source of information for the military and veteran community.


The Army has identified a service member who died while serving in support of the fight against ISIS in Iraq and Syria as Sgt. Christina Marie Schoenecker, a Reserve soldier from Kansas.

Officials with Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve announced earlier Tuesday that an investigation had been launched after a service member died Monday in a non-combat incident.

Schoenecker, 26, of Arlington, Kansas, was assigned to the 89th Sustainment Brigade out of Wichita, Army officials said in a brief release. They did not reveal the circumstances of her death, but said she was in Baghdad at the time.

The 89th Sustainment Brigade falls under the 451st Expeditionary Sustainment Command.

According to the command, Schoenecker was a human resources specialist who joined the Army in 2009. She was promoted to sergeant in January 2015 and was completing her first deployment at the time of her death.

Her awards include the Army Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster, and the Army Reserve Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters.

It's the third casualty of the year for Operation Inherent Resolve. Service members supporting the mission died Jan. 8 and Jan. 31 in separate non-combat incidents, according to task force announcements.

According to the Defense Department, 50 U.S. troops to date have died supporting OIR since the operation began in 2014. Of those deaths, 37 occurred in non-hostile incidents.

This story first appeared on Military.com

Read more from Military.com

WATCH NEXT:

(U.S. Attorney's Office in Maryland)

GREENBELT, Md. (Reuters) - A U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant accused of amassing a cache of weapons and plotting to attack Democratic politicians and journalists was ordered held for two weeks on Thursday while federal prosecutors consider charging him with more crimes.

Read More Show Less
An undated image of Hoda Muthana provided by her attorney, Hassan Shibly. (Associated Press)

Attorneys for the Constitutional Law Center for Muslims in America have filed a lawsuit against Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Attorney General William Barr and President Donald Trump asking the court to recognize the citizenship of an Alabama woman who left the U.S. to join ISIS and allow she and her young son to return to the United States.

Read More Show Less
U.S. soldiers surveil the area during a combined joint patrol in Manbij, Syria, November 1, 2018. Picture taken November 1, 2018. (U.S. Army/Zoe Garbarino/Handout via Reuters)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will leave "a small peacekeeping group" of 200 American troops in Syria for a period of time after a U.S. pullout, the White House said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump pulled back from a complete withdrawal.

Read More Show Less
Construction crews staged material needed for the Santa Teresa Border Wall Replacement project near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol/Mani Albrecht)

With a legal fight challenge mounting from state governments over the Trump administration's use of a national emergency to construct at the U.S.-Mexico border, the president has kicked his push for the barrier into high gear.

On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of wall construction in New Mexico; the next day, he proclaimed that "THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW"

But there's a big problem: The footage, which was filmed more than five months ago on Sep. 18, 2018, isn't really new wall construction at all, and certainly not part of the ongoing construction of "the wall" that Trump has been haggling with Congress over.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

A group comprised of former U.S. military veterans and security contractors who were detained in Haiti on weapons charges has been brought back to the United States and arrested upon landing, The Miami-Herald reported.

The men — five Americans, two Serbs, and one Haitian — were stopped at a Port-au-Prince police checkpoint on Sunday while riding in two vehicles without license plates, according to police. When questioned, the heavily-armed men allegedly told police they were on a "government mission" before being taken into custody.

Read More Show Less