Top Democrat wants the Army to assess whether TikTok poses 'national security risks'

popular

VIDEO: 'What's Your Warrior': the Army's latest recruiting spot

Connecting with the youths is all fun and games until Congress starts worrying you could accidentally expose the U.S. military to Chinese data collection, am I right?


TikTok — a social media app that has grown in popularity among young Americans — has become a staple in the U.S. Army's recruiting plan. But, it's also owned by a Chinese company.

You truly hate to see it.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) voiced his concerns to Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy in a Nov. 7 letter, as reported by BuzzFeed News, citing national security expert concerns over "TikTok's collection and handling of user data."

"While I recognize that the Army must adapt its recruiting techniques in order to attract young Americans to serve, I urge you to assess the potential national security risks posed by China-owned technology companies before choosing to utilize certain platforms," Schumer wrote.

Schumer also asks McCarthy if the Army has "conducted an analysis of alternative recruiting platforms" before choosing TikTok, and if the Army consulted with the intelligence community and Department of Homeland Security on TikTok. He asks that McCarthy respond by Dec. 6.

Lt. Col. Audricia Harris, spokesperson for McCarthy, told Task & Purpose that they are "aware of the concerns."

"While these concerns are not unique to any specific social media platform, we take matters of security seriously and make every effort to ensure our force is safeguarding sensitive and personal information," Harris said.

TikTok has grown in use by Army recruiters as the service worked this year to meet its recruiting goal after falling short last year. Head of USAREC, Maj. Gen. Frank Muth, said earlier this year that turning to short videos on TikTok and Instagram, and memes, has been "pretty darn successful."

TikTok said in a statement released last month that the company stores "all TikTok US user data In the United States, with a backup redundancy in Singapore," adding that "none of our data is subject to Chinese law."

And despite the government launching a national security review of the popular social media app, the military reportedly hasn't sent out a warning regarding the possible security risks.

"While recruiters are using a variety of social media platforms to share content that will relate to young people and generate awareness, our recruiters are also directed to not discuss personally identifiable information with prospective applicants across social media platforms," Lisa Ferguson, U.S. Army Recruiting Command spokesperson, told Task & Purpose.

The FBI is treating the recent shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, as a terrorist attack, several media outlets reported on Sunday.

"We work with the presumption that this was an act of terrorism," USA Today quoted FBI Agent Rachel Rojas as saying at a news conference.

Read More Show Less

WASHINGTON/SEOUL (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un risks losing "everything" if he resumes hostility and his country must denuclearize, after the North said it had carried out a "successful test of great significance."

"Kim Jong Un is too smart and has far too much to lose, everything actually, if he acts in a hostile way. He signed a strong Denuclearization Agreement with me in Singapore," Trump said on Twitter, referring to his first summit with Kim in Singapore in 2018.

"He does not want to void his special relationship with the President of the United States or interfere with the U.S. Presidential Election in November," he said.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Vaughan Dill/Released)

The three sailors whose lives were cut short by a gunman at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, on Friday "showed exceptional heroism and bravery in the face of evil," said base commander Navy Capt. Tim Kinsella.

Ensign Joshua Kaleb Watson, Airman Mohammed Sameh Haitham, and Airman Apprentice Cameron Scott Walters were killed in the shooting, the Navy has announced.

Read More Show Less

The Pentagon has a credibility problem that is the result of the White House's scorched earth policy against any criticism. As a result, all statements from senior leaders are suspect.

We're beyond the point of defense officials being unable to say for certain whether a dog is a good boy or girl. Now we're at the point where the Pentagon has spent three days trying to knock down a Wall Street Journal story about possible deployments to the Middle East, and they've failed to persuade either the press or Congress.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that the United States was considering deploying up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to thwart any potential Iranian attacks. The story made clear that President Trump could ultimately decide to send a smaller number of service members, but defense officials have become fixated on the number 14,000 as if it were the only option on the table.

Read More Show Less

This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. – Gen. David Berger, the US Marine Corps commandant, suggested the concerns surrounding a service members' use of questionable Chinese-owned apps like TikTok should be directed against the military's leadership, rather than the individual troops.

Speaking at the Reagan National Defense Forum in Simi Valley, California, on Saturday morning, Berger said the younger generation of troops had a "clearer view" of the technology "than most people give them credit for."

"That said, I'd give us a 'C-minus' or a 'D' in educating the force on the threat of even technology," Berger said. "Because they view it as two pieces of gear, 'I don't see what the big deal is.'"

Read More Show Less