Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Legendary pilot Chuck Yeager, who broke the sound barrier, turns 97
Today is Chuck Yeager's 97th birthday, and it's a great time to revisit the historic test pilot's ties to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
Yeager, of course, was the pilot who ensured that the sound barrier was no longer a barrier.
He was the first pilot in history confirmed to have exceeded the speed of sound in level flight. When his bullet-shaped Bell X-1 broke the sound barrier 45,000 feet above the Southern California desert, much of that technological power was tied to what was then Wright Field here outside Dayton.
The rocket-powered, soon-to-be supersonic plane was nicknamed "Glamorous Glennis" after Yeager's wife.
"It proved that the so-called sound barrier was no barrier whatsoever," Bob van der Linden, curator of special purpose aircraft at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C., told the Dayton Daily News in 2017, then the 70th anniversary of Yeager's historic flight.
Then as now, Wright Field was the beating heart of much Air Force research and development, and in the 1940s, work there helped pave the way for supersonic flight. Yeager flew military planes here before moving to California, said Doug Lantry, historian at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force at Wright-Patterson.
"In the case of the X-1, the people at Wright Field really were the ones who defined what the problems were that needed to be studied and how to approach those studies," Lantry said in 2017. "Wright Field was sort of the nerve center … of approaching this problem and how to solve it."
In July 1945, Yeager became a maintenance officer at Wright Field, a job that entailed flight-testing the field's variety of planes, according to ChuckYeager.org.
Yeager went on to break other speed and altitude records and to serve as a consulting civilian test pilot.
Yeager formally retired from the Air Force in March 1975 as a brigadier general. In the 1980s, Yeager worked with General Motors, publicizing AC Delco, the company's automotive parts division, which had its own Dayton connections.
In 1986, he drove the pace car for the Indianapolis 500 and has been in high demand for public appearances over the years.
©2020 the Dayton Daily News (Dayton, Ohio) - Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
Though the Army has yet to actually set an official recruiting goal for this year, leaders are confident they're going to bring in more soldiers than last year.
Maj. Gen. Frank Muth, head of Army Recruiting Command, told reporters on Wednesday that the Army was currently 2,226 contracts ahead of where it was in 2019.
"I will just tell you that this time last year we were in the red, and now we're in the green which is — the momentum's there and we see it continuing throughout the end of the year," Muth said, adding that the service hit recruiting numbers in February that haven't been hit during that month since 2014.
KABUL/WASHINGTON/PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - The United States and the Taliban will sign an agreement on Feb. 29 at the end of a week long period of violence reduction in Afghanistan, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and the Taliban said on Friday.
Active-duty service members, Reservists and National Guard members often serve side-by-side performing highly skilled and dangerous jobs, such as parachuting, explosives demolition and flight deck operations.
Reservists and Guard members are required to undergo the same training as specialized active-duty troops, and they face the same risks. Yet the extra incentive pay they receive for their work — called hazardous duty incentive pay — is merely a fraction of what their active-duty counterparts receive for performing the same job.
A bipartisan group of lawmakers, led by U.S. Rep. Andy Kim, D-3 of Moorestown, are partnering on legislation to correct the inequity. Known as the Guard and Reserve Hazard Duty Pay Equity Act, the bill seeks to standardize payment of hazardous duty incentive pay for all members of the armed services, including Reserve and National Guard components.
Another Marine was hit with jail time and a bad-conduct discharge in connection with a slew of arrests made last summer over suspicions that members of a California-based infantry battalion were transporting people who'd crossed into the U.S. illegally.
Some Fort Bragg paratroopers who left for the Middle East on a no-notice deployment last month came home Thursday.
About 3,500 soldiers with the 82nd Airborne Division's 1st Brigade Combat Team were sent to Kuwait beginning Jan. 1 as tensions were rising in the region. The first soldiers were in the air within 18 hours of being told to go.