Coast Guard rescues 13-year-old boy who was swept 'several hundred feet' out to sea from Massachusetts' coast

news

The Coast Guard rescued a 13-year-old boy was swept out to sea off the shore of Gloucester, Mass., on Saturday.

A 13-year-old boy was rescued by firefighters, police officers and the U.S. Coast Guard Saturday after he was swept out to sea in Gloucester.


Authorities said the boy, who is from Gloucester, fell off a rock at Rafe's Chasm and was swept away from land sometime around 5:20 p.m. Saturday.

First responders learned the boy had been taking photos of the waves with his friends when he fell off of a rock and into the water.

"At the time police and firefighters arrived on the scene, he had been swept approximately 50 to 75 feet offshore," authorities said. "The U.S. Coast Guard Gloucester Station was informed of the incident, and promptly launched a 47-foot motor lifeboat in search of the boy."

The boy was several hundred feet away from shore when he was rescued by the Coast Guard.

The boy was taken to a local hospital for treatment. He was in good condition last night.

"Fortunately, as a result of the swift, seamless teamwork between the Gloucester Fire and Police Departments and the Coast Guard, this boy was rescued very quickly," Fire Chief Eric Smith said. "Time is critical in an incident like this, and I'd like to thank all those who took part in today's rescue."

Kade Kurita (U.S. Army photo(

Kade Kurita, the 20-year-old West Point cadet who had been missing since Friday evening, was found dead on Tuesday night, the U.S. Military Academy announced early Wednesday morning.

"We are grieving this loss and our thoughts and prayers go out to Cadet Kurita's family and friends," Lt. Gen. Darryl Williams, superintendent of West Point, said in the release.

Read More Show Less

VISTA —An Iraq war veteran who said he killed a stranger in Oceanside at the behest of a secret agency that controlled his brain was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

The sentence for Mikhail Schmidt comes less than a month after a Superior Court jury in North County found Schmidt guilty of first-degree murder of Jacob Bravo, a stranger that Schmidt spotted, followed and stabbed to death on March 8, 2017.

Read More Show Less

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A Strongsville woman convicted of fleecing an ailing Korean War veteran out of much of his life savings was sentenced Tuesday to three years in prison.

Latasha Wisniewski, 38, feigned a sexual interest in Charles Bauer in late 2017 by taking the 88-year-old widower to a plastic surgeon's office and asking him to pay for breast implants. She then withdrew more than $140,000 from Bauer's accounts over the following months, according to court records.

Read More Show Less

Mark Mitchell is stepping down as the acting assistant defense secretary for special operations and low-intensity conflict, a position he has held since late June, a defense official confirmed on Tuesday.

No information was immediately available about why Mitchell decided to resign. His last day will be Nov. 1 and he will be replaced by Thomas Alexander, who is currently leading the Defense Department's counternarcotics efforts, the defense official told Task & Purpose.

Read More Show Less
Photo: West Point

The U.S. Military Academy identified a cadet who has been missing since Friday evening as 20-year-old Kade Kurita.

A search began for Kurita after he failed to report for a scheduled military skills competition around 5:30pm on Friday. West Point officials said in the Tuesday press release that he is believed to still be nearby.

Read More Show Less