Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
A first look at the 'CoD Modern Warfare' reboot shows juggernaut and ghillie suits return to multiplayer
Late last month Activision's Infinity Ward dropped a teaser trailer for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare — a soft-reboot of one of it's most beloved games — and just two weeks after the May 30 reveal, the game developer unveiled some new details on what's in store for the first-person shooter's multiplayer: Juggernaut and ghillie suits!
Activision shared the images during this year's E3, which wrapped up on June 13 in Los Angeles. Currently there's not much information out there on what we'll see when Call of Duty: Modern Warfare hits consoles and PC in October. However, since the images are for multiplayer — one of the franchise's main draws — we can assume that both the mini-gun-toting killing machine and the swamp-thing sniper outfit will be available online.
For those not in the know, in previous games the juggernaut suit was available as a kill streak, and if it's once again in multiplayer, then it stands to reason that the newest CoD will probably be keeping its score streak system — I mean, I hope so. It's not really CoD without it.
I'm the juggernaut, bitch!Infinity Ward
The ghillie suit, for its part, was a default outfit when you chose a sniper rifle as your main weapon in the original version of the game, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. The suit was a godsend for the discerning player who likes to sit on the edge of a map (also known as a camper), because you were hard to spot and could, well, just snipe people all day.
Camping is a legitimate strategy.Infinity Ward
Among the major changes to the game, Activision will be doing away with pay-to-play downloadable content in the form of season passes. Instead, players need only buy the base game to take advantage of all it has to offer.
As Task & Purpose previously reported, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will also have a single player campaign (and a co-op mode), which will feature a return of fan-favorite characters like Ghost, Soap McTavish, and Capt. Price — with actor Barry Sloane (History's SIX) starring as the latter.
"Right off the bat, this is not Modern Warfare 4; this is not a sequel to those games," Taylor Kurosaki, the narrative director at Infinity Ward, said in an interview for Activision's blog."We had to put that storyline to bed, and we had to re-imagine what Modern Warfare could be."
Well, at least we know that "re-imagining" will include a few throwbacks to the earlier games in the franchise.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare releases on Oct. 25.
WATCH NEXT: 'Call of Duty' Is Better Than 'Battlefield 4'
For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.
"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.
In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.
"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."
Defense Secretary Mark Esper has confirmed that a nightmare scenario has come to pass: Captured ISIS fighters are escaping as a result of Turkey's invasion of Kurdish-held northeast Syria.
Turkey's incursion has led to "the release of many dangerous ISIS detainees," Esper said in a statement on Monday.
Video footage of a purported "bombing of Kurd civilians" by Turkish military forces shown on ABC News appeared to be a nighttime firing of tracer rounds at a Kentucky gun range.
The U.S. military's seemingly never-ending mission supporting civil authorities along the southwestern border will last at least another year.
On Sept. 3, Defense Secretary Mark Esper approved a request from the Department of Homeland Security to provide a total of up to 5,500 troops along the border until Sept. 30, 2020, Lt. Gen. Laura Richardson, commander of U.S. Army North, said on Monday.