Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Why other gunmakers may follow Colt in halting civilian AR-15 sales
Colt's recent decision to halt civilian production of AR-15s sent a tremor through the small-arms community, a sign that other gunmakers may fall victim to a market swelled to capacity with the popular semi-automatic rifle.
Just a few years ago, in the run-up to the 2016 presidential election, gunmakers couldn't make enough AR-style rifles and carbines to satisfy public demand. The fear of many gun enthusiasts that a Democratic victory would lead to the reinstatement of the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban drove large gun companies to ramp up AR production and opened up a flood of small AR shops, said Mark Oliva, spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the firearms industry trade association.
"When the 1994 assault weapons ban expired in 2004, the interest in people buying firearms, particularly these firearms, increased rapidly," Oliva said.
"And as we start to look at the sales figures ... going right up until the 2016 election, in 2015 and 2016, we just had a huge spike in people buying AR-15s ... and I think that is why you saw such an exponential growth of just people coming out of the woodwork, making their own AR-15s, and a lot of the small makers jumping into the market."
The problem is that the gun industry was left with a huge inventory of ARs after President Donald Trump won the 2016 election, said Ryan Cleckner, a firearms industry attorney and former vice president of Remington Outdoor Company, a conglomerate that owns AR makers such as Remington, Bushmaster and DPMS.
"Up until the last year, the AR market still sells strong ... however, the market has been a rough market these past few years," said Cleckner, who served in the Army's 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, from 1998 to 2003 and now is the owner of Gun University, a firearms review website.
"The industry is going to take a downturn; it just has to. It's just the natural cyclical rate of any industry. And it will be good because it will separate some of the wheat from the chaff. We have too many AR makers right now," he said.
In this Aug. 15, 2012 file photo, three variations of the AR-15 rifle are displayed at the California Department of Justice in Sacramento, Calif. On Sept. 19, 2019, Connecticut-based Colt Firearms said it was suspending production of its version of the AR-15 for the civilian market(Associated Press/Rich Pedroncelli)
Colt's Manufacturing Co. LLC acknowledged the "significant excess in manufacturing" in the "sporting rifle" market in a Sept. 19 statement explaining its suspension of civilian AR production. The company gave no indication that its decision might be tied to the current debate over the public's access to AR-15s and other semi-automatic rifles, which have been used in several mass shootings, as some have inferred.
On the same day, the Defense Department announced that U.S. Army Contracting Command had awarded a $41.9 million foreign military sales contract to Colt to produce M4 and M4A1 carbines for more than a dozen countries, including Afghanistan, Djibouti, Jordan, Kuwait and Lebanon.
"We are fortunate enough to have been awarded significant military and law enforcement contracts," Dennis Veilleux, president and CEO of Colt, said in the statement. "Currently, these high-volume contracts are absorbing all of Colt's manufacturing capacity for rifles."
Military.com reached out to Colt, but did not receive a response by press time.
Colt became an icon of the AR-15/M16 family shortly after Eugene Stoner invented the AR-15 design for ArmaLite Company in the late 1950s. Colt purchased the design rights and produced mass quantities of the M16 during the Vietnam War.
Over the years, it has supplied the U.S. military with multiple versions of the M16, including the M4 and M4A1 up until 2013 when FN Manufacturing outbid Remington Arms Company and Colt Defense LLC to win a contract worth just under $77 million to make M4A1s for the Army.
Colt has also struggled on the civilian side of the AR market over the past 10 years, Cleckner said.
"It was rare in the past decade to go into a gun shop to see more than a couple of Colts," he said, adding that "it was a great business decision" for the Hartford, Connecticut-based company to focus on its military contracts, an option smaller gun shops have not had.
"We have had a bunch of smaller shops that have already shut down," Cleckner said. "The only reason the big manufacturers have stayed around is they are so big, and they will be able to weather the storm."
Despite the decrease in demand, the AR-15 is still an extremely popular rifle, Oliva said.
"It's still a very competitive market; we are looking at 16 million AR-15s that are in private ownership today in America," he said. "I think this is a decision that [Colt officials] are making that is probably temporary, and I think that you [will] see them, when the time is right, re-emerge into the market."
This article originally appeared on Military.com
More articles from Military.com:
- Army Tests Airdrops of U.S.-Produced Freeze-Dried Plasma near Battlefields
- Navy SEAL Leaders Claim They Were Wrongfully Fired, File IG Complaint
- Elite Air Force Rescue Squadron Commander Relieved over 'Loss of Confidence'
A Minnesota Army National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter with three Guardsmen aboard crashed south of St. Cloud on Thursday, said National Guard spokeswoman Army Master Sgt. Blair Heusdens.
At this time, the National Guard is not releasing any information about the status of the three people aboard the helicopter, Heusdens told Task & Purpose on Thursday.
The Pentagon's latest attempt to twist itself in knots to deny that it is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East has a big caveat.
Pentagon spokeswoman Alyssa Farah said there are no plans to send that many troops to the region "at this time."
Farah's statement does not rule out the possibility that the Defense Department could initially announce a smaller deployment to the region and subsequently announce that more troops are headed downrange.
The Navy could deploy a second carrier to the Middle East if Trump orders an Iran surge, top admiral says
The Navy could send a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East if President Donald Trump orders a surge of forces to the region, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday said on Thursday.
Gordon Lubold and Nancy Youssef of the Wall Street Journal first reported the United States is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to deter Iran from attacking U.S. forces and regional allies. The surge forces could include several ships.
I didn't think a movie about World War I would, or even could, remind me of Afghanistan.
Somehow 1917 did, and that's probably the highest praise I can give Sam Mendes' newest war drama: It took a century-old conflict and made it relatable.
An internal investigation spurred by a nude photo scandal shows just how deep sexism runs in the Marine Corps
"I will still have to work harder to get the perception away from peers and seniors that women can't do the job."
Some years ago, a 20-year-old female Marine, a military police officer, was working at a guard shack screening service members and civilians before they entered the base. As a lance corporal, she was new to the job and the duty station, her first in the Marine Corps.
At some point during her shift, a male sergeant on duty drove up. Get in the car, he said, the platoon sergeant needs to see you. She opened the door and got in, believing she was headed to see the enlisted supervisor of her platoon.
Instead, the sergeant drove her to a dark, wooded area on base. It was deserted, no other Marines were around. "Hey, I want a blowjob," the sergeant told her.
"What am I supposed, what do you do as a lance corporal?" she would later recall. "I'm 20 years old ... I'm new at this. You're the only leadership I've ever known, and this is what happens."
She looked at him, then got out of the car and walked away. The sergeant drove up next to her and tried to play it off as a prank. "I'm just fucking with you," he said. "It's not a big deal."
It was one story among hundreds of others shared by Marines for a study initiated in July 2017 by the Marine Corps Center for Advanced Operational Culture Learning (CAOCL). Finalized in March 2018, the center's report was quietly published to its website in September 2019 with little fanfare.
The culture of the Marine Corps is ripe for analysis. A 2015 Rand Corporation study found that women felt far more isolated among men in the Corps, while the Pentagon's Office of People Analytics noted in 2018 that female Marines rated hostility toward them as "significantly higher" than their male counterparts.
But the center's report, Marines' Perspectives on Various Aspects of Marine Corps Organizational Culture, offers a proverbial wakeup call to leaders, particularly when paired alongside previous studies, since it was commissioned by the Marine Corps itself in the wake of a nude photo sharing scandal that rocked the service in 2017.
The scandal, researchers found, was merely a symptom of a much larger problem.