It’s Confirmed: Marine Corps Will Add 4th Phase To Boot Camp Starting Next Month

news
Ah, nothing like some good ole' one-on-one mentor-ship from the Marine who's been screaming at you for three months.
U.S. Marine Corps photo by Pfc. Aaron Bolser

It’s official: The Marine Corps is adding a fourth phase to recruit training. In an Oct. 12 video, the service briefly laid out its plans for the new two-week phase a week after Task & Purpose first reported that the plan was under consideration.


The new phase phase will be an opportunity for Marine-to-Marine mentorship, with drill instructors counseling new Marines on everything from leadership and finances to what’s in store for them once they hit the fleet.

“Now you’ve got somebody who’s been a drill instructor and been intimately involved in this transformation, and now you have another few days to talk to their new Marines as a fellow Marine about what it’s going to be like to go out in the rest of their journey as a Marine,” Gen. Robert Neller, the Marine Corps commandant, says in the video.

The changes go into effect beginning November 2017, and though boot camp will remain 13 weeks, some training events will be shuffled around to make room for the new phase, which will expand upon the current four-day block, previously referred to as “Marine Week.”

Related: EXCLUSIVE: Marine Corps May Add Fourth Phase To Boot Camp »

In the past, Marine Week came at the end of boot camp, after newly minted devil dogs passed the Crucible, received their Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, and were finally allowed to refer to themselves in the first person, and other Marines by their rank.

Though the Crucible — a grueling final test of resolve and grit — remains the culminating training event, Marine Corps Times reported Oct. 4 that it will slide to the left to make room for the new training period.

This fourth phase will also emphasize the “Six F’s” of Marine Leadership Development: fighter, fidelity, fitness, family, finances, and future. Or, in the words of Marine veteran and Terminal Lance creator Maximilian Uriarte: Fourth Phase is about how not to be a boot.

(U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Stephane Belcher)

The 2020 National Defense Authorization Act would allow service members to seek compensation when military doctors make mistakes that harm them, but they would still be unable to file medical malpractice lawsuits against the federal government.

On Monday night, Congress announced that it had finalized the NDAA, which must be passed by the House and Senate before going to President Donald Trump. If the president signs the NDAA into law, it would mark the first time in nearly seven decades that U.S. military personnel have had legal recourse to seek payment from the military in cases of medical malpractice.

Read More Show Less
Maj. Jason Michael Musgrove (Lincoln County Sheriff's Office)

A major serving at U.S. Army Cyber Command has been charged with distributing child pornography, according to the Justice Department.

Maj. Jason Michael Musgrove, who is based at Fort Gordon, Georgia, has been remanded to the U.S. Marshals service, a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Georgia says.

Read More Show Less
Sailors from USS George Washington (CVN 73) wear-test the I-Boot 5 at Naval Station Norfolk. (U.S. Navy photo by Courtney Williams)

Navy senior leaders could decide whether or not to approve the new I-Boot 5 early in 2020, said Rob Carroll, director of the uniform matters office at the Chief of Naval Personnel's office.

"The I-Boot 5 is currently wrapping up its actual wear test, its evaluation," Carroll told Task & Purpose on Monday. "We're hoping that within the first quarter of calendar year 2020 that we'll be able to present leadership with the information that they need to make an informed decision."

Read More Show Less
Senator Jim Inhofe speaks with local reporters at a press conference held at the 138th Fighter Wing August 2, 2018. (U.S. National Guard/Staff Sgt. Rebecca R. Imwalle)

U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe and U.S. Rep. Kendra Horn leveled harsh criticism last week at the contractor accused of negligence and fraudulent activity while operating private housing at Tinker Air Force Base and other military installations.

Inhofe, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, referred to Balfour Beatty Communities as "notorious." Horn, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, told a company executive she was "incredibly disappointed you have failed to live up to your responsibility for taking care of the people that are living in these houses."

Read More Show Less
U.S. Senator Rick Scott speaks during a press conference at Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, April 29, 2019. (U.S. Air Force/Airman 1st Class Monica Roybal)

The Saudi national who killed three students on a U.S. Naval Air station in Pensacola was in the United States on a training exchange program.

On Sunday, Sen. Rick Scott said the United States should suspend that program, which brings foreign nationals to America for military training, pending a "full review."

Read More Show Less