MOH Recipient Dakota Meyer Blasts Dan Bilzerian For Filming Snapchat Video During Las Vegas Shooting

news
A photo composite showing Medal of Honor recipient and Marine veteran Dakota Meyer, left, and social media celebrity Dan Bilzerian, right.

Following the Las Vegas shootings on Oct. 1, the deadliest in United States history, Marine Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer took to social media to blast Dan Bilzerian, a social media personality, former poker player and Navy SEAL training washout who uploaded a video to Snapchat showing himself fleeing the scene.


Bilzerian — a self-styled “King of Instagram” best known for his braggadocio, displays of fitness, and legal problems arising from an incident in which he threw a nude woman off a building and broke her foot — found himself in a terrifying and unscripted moment as gunfire erupted around him at the the Route 91 Harvest music festival on Las Vegas’ strip Sunday night.

The Snapchat video, uploaded to Bilzerian’s account in the wake of the attack, shows the social media celebrity running from the concert site, the Daily Mail reports.

“Holy fuck, a girl just got shot in the fucking head. This is so fucking crazy,” Bilzerian said in the video, before adding that he was going home to “grab a gun.”

Related: Military Veterans Mourned As Las Vegas Victims, Praised As Heroes »

Meyer, who was awarded the Medal of Honor for risking life and limb to evacuate fallen coalition and Afghan soldiers during a Taliban ambush on Sept. 8, 2009, in Afghanistan, took to Instagram on Oct. 2 with a withering response to Bilzerian’s post:

While it's tough to say who is or isn't qualified to dictate how Bilzerian should have handled himself during a mass shooting, it's hard to feel much sympathy for a professed "operator" who decided to live-blog a tragedy for posterity’s sake.

After the attack, stories of tragic loss, panic, and fear juxtaposed with moments of spontaneous courage: Strangers gave their lives to treat the wounded; others commandeered trucks to serve as makeshift ambulances; and Las Vegas residents formed lines around the block to donate blood.

Amid the social-media mud-slinging that followed Bilzerian’s Snapchat video, one thing is certain: Countless unsung heroes in Las Vegas stepped forward in his wake.

Robert Morris Levy (Associated Press/Washington County Sheriff's Department)

A former doctor at an Arkansas Veteran Affairs hospital was charged Tuesday with involuntary manslaughter in the deaths of three veterans to whom he allegedly provided false diagnoses.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Air Force officer passes in front of a MQ-9 Reaper drone, one of a squadron that has arrived to step up the fight against the Taliban, at the Kandahar air base, Afghanistan January 23, 2018. (Reuters/Omar Sobhani)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. military MQ-9 drone was shot down in Yemen's Dhamar governate, southeast of the Houthi-controlled capital Sanaa, two U.S. officials told Reuters on Wednesday.

A Houthi military spokesman had earlier said that air defenses had brought down a U.S. drone.

The officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the drone was shot down late on Tuesday.

Read More Show Less
Photo: U.S. Army Courtesy photo

Fort Hood's Air Assault School was renamed after Command Sgt. Maj. Basil L. Plumley on Thursday.

Read More Show Less
An E-2D Hawkeye assigned to the Bluetails of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 121 lands on the flight deck aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72). (U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Will Hardy)

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

While attempting to land on the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln in the Arabian Sea earlier this month, an E-2D Hawkeye propeller aircraft struck two F/A-18 Super Hornet aircraft and sent debris flying into two other F/A-18s on the flight deck, according to the Naval Safety Center.

Read More Show Less

Nobody can be told what The Matrix is; you have to see it for yourself.

More than two decades after The Matrix showed the world what the future of the sci-fi action flick could look like, Warner Bros. Pictures plans on producing a fourth installment of the groundbreaking epic saga, Variety first reported on Tuesday.

Read More Show Less