Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Unproven Sexual Harassment Claims Could Force Marine Officer into Retirement
A Marine officer who was accused of sexually harassing multiple women could be forced to retire, even after a board and several investigations failed to substantiate any of the allegations.
Maj. David Cheek, who formerly served with the Marine Corps' behavioral health branch in Quantico, Virginia, faced a Board of Inquiry on Friday after two civilian employees accused him of displaying his erection through his clothing on multiple occasions. The complaints, which date back to 2013, prompted four investigations and the Board of Inquiry, none of which found conclusive evidence of sexual harassment.
The three colonels on Cheek's board recommended that the major, a prior-enlisted Marine who has served since 1992, be involuntary retired at his current rank -- not over the harassment allegations, but "due to substandard performance of duty."
Navy Secretary Richard Spencer will now decide whether that recommendation should be upheld.
The board's determination, first reported by USA Today, was made after Cheek was found to have failed to properly discharge the duties expected of an officer of his grade and failed to conform to prescribed standards of dress, weight, personal appearance or military deportment, according to officials with Marine Corps Combat Development Command.
"The board did not substantiate any specific allegations of misconduct; however, they found his overall performance below what is expected from an officer in the Marine Corps," the officials added.
Cheek, who issued a statement to Military.com through his attorney, said he's thankful the board found the "disgusting and absurd allegations of misconduct" to be unsubstantiated for the fifth time. He called the last several years humiliating for him and his family, and said he has received no support from his command.
"As an African-American male, I have endured instances of bullying and harassment in my life, but I have never been subjected to this level of bullying and harassment," Cheek said. "Despite the Board's recommendation, I am confident that the Secretary of the Navy's review of my record over the last 26-plus years will reflect that there is no basis for retirement for substandard performance."
Brian Magee, Cheek's attorney, said the two are exploring options on how best to proceed.
"If there's a big-picture lesson learned here, and this is me speaking personally," Magee said, "it's that it should scare the hell out of anyone that an allegation -- even when unsubstantiated by four independent investigations and a board of three colonels -- can absolutely wreak havoc on a person's life or career. But that's the environment that we live in."
Despite the board not substantiating any claims of misconduct, Sherry Yetter, one of Cheek's accusers, told USA Today that she is happy the "very long five-year battle for justice was over."
"The United States Marine Corps finally heard us," she told the paper. "It's a victory for all victims."
The harassment claims from Yetter and a second woman caught the attention of top Marine brass and members of Congress earlier this year after the two said they felt service leaders minimized their claims. That prompted a new investigation into the harassment allegations against Cheek.
When a preliminary inquiry into Yetter's claims was completed in October 2013, the investigating officer determined the conduct failed to meet the threshold of sexual harassment. Those allegations were then reviewed in 2015 by the inspector general of the Marine Corps, which didn't substantiate any of the allegations.
In 2017, a command-level investigation was completed, which found no conclusive evidence of sexual harassment. The investigating officer who completed the second command-level investigation in April 2018 was also unable to substantiate the allegations.
Meanwhile, Cheek had been selected for command and promotion to lieutenant colonel in August 2017, something Magee described as almost unheard of for an officer serving in an adjutant, or special staff, role.
"I think that speaks volumes to who he is as an officer," Magee said. "His board recalled witnesses who've served with him in every capacity, from commanding officers and former supervisors to subordinates. There were male, female, civilian and uniformed, and the one word I would say came out consistently from all of them in describing him was 'professional.' "
Cheek will continue serving in his job on full-duty status with Training and Education Command at Quantico while his case proceeds, Magee said.
Cheek said he hopes leaders do "what is right and not just what is easiest due to external platform pressures."
"Although it is difficult to maintain faith in the organization to which I have devoted 26 years of my life, I pray that the people who review the Board's recommendation will not cave to this continued bullying and harassment, but will make the right decision," he said.
This article originally appeared on Military.com
More from Military.com:
Navy Secretary Richard Spencer took the reins at the Pentagon on Monday, becoming the third acting defense secretary since January.
Spencer is expected to temporarily lead the Pentagon while the Senate considers Army Secretary Mark Esper's nomination to succeed James Mattis as defense secretary. The Senate officially received Esper's nomination on Monday.
U.S. Special Operations Command may be on the verge of making the dream of flying infantry soldiers a reality, but the French may very well beat them to it.
On Sunday, French President Emmanuel Macron shared an unusual video showing a man on a flying platform — widely characterized as a "hoverboard" — maneuvering through the skies above the Bastille Day celebrations in Paris armed with what appears to be a dummy firearm.
The video was accompanied with a simple message of "Fier de notre armée, moderne et innovante," which translates to "proud of our army, modern and innovative," suggesting that the French Armed Forces may be eyeing the unusual vehicle for potential military applications.
A lawmaker wants to know if the Pentagon ever exposed the American public to ticks infected with bioweapons
If you've ever wondered if the Pentagon has ever exposed the American public to ticks infected with biological weapons, you're not alone.
Rep. Christopher Smith (R-N.J.) authored an amendment to the House version of the Fiscal 2020 National Defense Authorization Act would require the Defense Department Inspector General's Office to find out if the U.S. military experimented with using ticks and other insects as biological weapons between 1950 and 1975.
If such experiments took place, the amendment would require the inspector general's office to tell lawmakers if any of the ticks or other bugs "were released outside of any laboratory by accident or experiment design."
The Taliban drove his family out of Afghanistan when he was a child. Now he wants to go back as a Marine
There's no one path to military service. For some, it's a lifelong goal, for others, it's a choice made in an instant.
For 27-year-old Marine Pvt. Atiqullah Assadi, who graduated from Marine Corps bootcamp on July 12, the decision to enlist was the culmination of a journey that began when he and his family were forced to flee their home in Afghanistan.
The Air Force has administratively separated the Nellis Air Force Base sergeant who was investigated for making racist comments about her subordinates in a video that went viral last year, Task & Purpose has learned.