Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
3 Defense Contractors Receive Medals Of Valor For Fighting Off Insurgents in Afghanistan
Three American defense contractors — all retired Army soldiers —have received the Pentagon's highest civilian valor award for their respective roles in repelling two separate insurgent attacks on coalition forces in Afghanistan, the Department of Defense announced last week.
- Retired Army Master Sgt. William Timothy Nix, retired Army Chief Warrant Officer Michael Anthony Dunne, and retired Army Chief Warrant Officer Brandon Ray Seabolt were honored with the Medal of Valor on August 14 for "exceptional gallantry in action against an armed enemy," according to a DoD release.
- On Aug. 7, 2015, Nix and Dunne were supporting NATO Special Operations Component Command Afghanistan on Camp Integrity near Kabul when a vehicle-borne IED struck the base entrance, heralding the arrival of insurgents armed with hand grenades and suicide vests.
- “[The insurgents] blew the whole front of the camp. The gate came off. It collapsed the guard tower out there,” Dunne later recalled.
- Following the explosion, Dunne and Nix rushed to support U.S. military personnel battling insurgents who'd breached the perimeter. "I just grabbed a weapon and ran out," Nix said at the award ceremony.
- The citation praises the duo's "heroism for exposing themselves to direct enemy fire, hand grenades, suicide vests, and other explosives to suppress insurgents who had breached the camp," according to the DoD release.
- Seabolt, a counter-IED expert with the Joint Improvised Threat Defeat Agency, earned his Medal of Valor for his actions during an attack near Helmand on December 17, 2015. His citation states that he "single-handedly fended off the insurgent onslaught until the return of other team members," according to the DoD release.
- “Mr. Seabolt’s bravery and confidence instilled courage among the entire force, resulting in effective fires on the target, softening the objective and allowing the recovery force to approach with little resistance," the citation says.
We salute Nix, Dunne, and Seabolt for their courage under fire. And let this be a reminder: not all heroes wear name tapes.
(Reuters) - The suspected shooter involved in a deadly incident on Friday at a major U.S. Navy base in Florida was believed to be a Saudi national in the United States for training, two U.S. defense officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Four people including the shooter were killed in the episode at Naval Air Station Pensacola, the Navy and local sheriff's office said, the second deadly shooting at a U.S. military installation this week.
For some brave U-2 pilots, life on the ground just can't compare to flying a 64-year-old spy plane to the edge of space, but some airmen need that extra rush.
For Capt. Joshua Bird of the 99th Reconnaissance Squadron, he seemed to have found that rush in cocaine — at least, that's what an official legal notice from Beale Air Force Base said he did.
A shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola in Florida has left four people dead, including the gunman, law enforcement officials said at a Friday news conference.
The shooter and two victims were killed at the base and another victim died after being taken to the hospital, said Chip Simmons, deputy chief of the Escambia County Sheriff's Office.
Another seven people remain hospitalized, including two sheriff's deputies who engaged the gunman, Simmons said at Friday's news conference. One was hit in the arm and the other was shot in the knee. Both are expected to recover.
(Reuters) - A Black Hawk helicopter went down in central Minnesota on Thursday, killing all three soldiers on board, after it lost contact with the Minnesota National Guard during a maintenance test flight, Governor Tim Walz said on Thursday.
The Pentagon's latest attempt to twist itself in knots to deny that it is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East has a big caveat.
Pentagon spokeswoman Alyssa Farah said there are no plans to send that many troops to the region "at this time."
Farah's statement does not rule out the possibility that the Defense Department could initially announce a smaller deployment to the region and subsequently announce that more troops are headed downrange.