Despite Health Concerns, The Military Still Uses Burn Pits

news
Air Force photo

Since operations began in the Middle East in 2001, the U.S. military has used hundreds open-air pits to burn solid refuse, often exposing soldiers and locals to toxic fumes.


With mounting health concerns, the Defense Department set limits on the usage of these burn pits in 2009. However, in 2010, the Government Accountability Office found that the department had violated its own protocol for safe burn pit practices, noting that some pits had been used to burn anything from toxin-emitting batteries to plastics.

Still, when U.S. troops returned to Iraq in 2014, burn pits made a resurgence, Stars and Stripes reported.

On Jan. 21, a federal court in Greenbelt, Maryland, will examine a lawsuit regarding allegations that exposure to burn pits in Iraq and Afghanistan caused serious if not deadly respiratory illness among troops.

The case — filed in 2010 — will be considered by the court, which will hear arguments to determine its scope. It may include more than 53 former and current bases in Iraq.

This case is one of many where veterans groups are attempting to discern the nature of burn-pit exposure and its effects on service members.

Still, despite numerous lawsuits, the Defense Department removed burn pit exposure from its Congress-mandated 2016 list of peer-reviewed medical research programs. It was only added to the list in 2015, and a spokesman confirmed that research had not yet begun.

Ron Brown, president of the National Gulf War Research Center, speculated, “What they may have done ... instead of listing it as ‘burn pit exposure,’ is broken it down in subcategories dealing with specific illnesses,” according to Military.com.

Brown, however, has no idea why the Defense Department would do that considering the scope of burn-pit exposure also covers other ailments that affect veterans of the Persian Gulf War, Iraq War, and Afghanistan War.

KCNA

HANOI (Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un told the U.S. secretary of state he did not want his children to live with the burden of nuclear weapons, a former CIA officer involved in high-level diplomacy over the North's weapons was quoted as saying on Saturday.

Read More Show Less

An Oregon Air National Guard F-15C Eagle that made an emergency landing on Wednesday ditched its entire arsenal of live air-to-air missiles before touching down at Portland International Airport, The War Zone reports.

Read More Show Less

Several hundred U.S. troops will remain in Syria after allied forces clear ISIS fighters out of their last stronghold in the country, officials said on Friday.

President Donald Trump announced in December that he would withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria, but Sen. Lindsey Graham has since made a strong push to keep a small residual force along the Turkish border along with troops from European allies.

Read More Show Less
Chris Osman (Photo: _chris_osman_designs/Instagram)

The former Navy SEAL among a group of eight men arrested earlier this week in Port-au-Prince on weapons charges says he was providing security work "for people who are directly connected to the current President" of Haiti.

"We were being used as pawns in a public fight between him and the current Prime Minister of Haiti," said Chris Osman, 44, in a post on Instagram Friday. "We were not released we were in fact rescued."

Read More Show Less
Former Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis (DoD photo)

A Richland, Washington city councilman thinks native son Jim Mattis would make a terrific governor or even president.

Read More Show Less