Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Wisconsin Man Charged With Killing Disabled Army Vet With An Arrow Through The Chest
Richard W. Seehaver was charged in Dunn County District Court with first-degree intentional homicide, domestic abuse, being a repeat criminal offender and illegal use of a dangerous weapon
A 52-year-old man with a violent history shot an arrow into the chest of a disabled Army veteran inside the western Wisconsin home they shared before stabbing him to "put him out of his misery," according to a murder charge filed Tuesday.
Richard W. Seehaver was charged in Dunn County District Court with first-degree intentional homicide, domestic abuse, being a repeat criminal offender and illegal use of a dangerous weapon. Seehaver remains jailed ahead of his first court appearance.
John M. Likeness, 54, whose military service took him to many war zones, was found dead on Dec. 30 in the home in Menomonie, a city roughly 45 miles from the Twin Cities' eastern suburbs.
Carrie Likeness, his niece, said her uncle was a distinguished Army veteran who served for 10 years until 1993 and became disabled while in the military. She said he used a mobility scooter to get around.
She said his deployments included missions in Panama, Grenada, Somalia, and the Desert Shield and Desert Storm campaigns in the Persian Gulf.
"John was proud to have served our country and although a disabled veteran, he spent this last year embracing independence while exploring the U.S. by railway," the niece said.
According to the criminal complaint:
Officers responding to a 911 call arrived and saw through a window Likeness sitting in a recliner while Seehaver had his arms around his roommate's neck and wiping his victim's chest.
Seehaver left the home in bloodied clothes and was immediately detained. Police entered and saw Likeness in the chair with an arrow in his chest and a large wound under his jaw. A knife was on the floor next to the recliner.
Seehaver told investigators he had been living with Likeness for the past few months and had lived with him in nearby Cedar Falls as well. He made mention of alien beings and being associated with "an evil organization," the court filing read.
He added that he felt sorry for Likeness and that he "?'put him out of his misery,'?" the charging document quoted Seehaver as saying.
Seehaver said he slashed Likeness with a butcher knife because he didn't believe the shot of the arrow from 10 to 12 yards away killed him.
He also admitted to using methamphetamine the day before killing Seehaver.
Seehaver's criminal history in Wisconsin includes convictions for battery, disorderly conduct, drug possession, property damage and weapons possession.
Carrie Likeness said her uncle "traveled with his mobility scooter, a few satchels, and his beloved companion dog, Sienna."
"He was scouting for a new community to continue his independence," Carrie Likeness said, "an affordable city with a veteran-friendly community and an accessible infrastructure accommodating to those with physical limitations."
"John ultimately chose the familiar city of Menomonie, and it was there he purchased his first home in October 2018."
It was in that home, in the 600 block of 15th Street S., where he died.
©2019 the Star Tribune (Minneapolis). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
A massive billing glitch in Tricare's East region, managed by Humana, on Thursday slammed about 25,000 beneficiaries with premium charges 100 times more than they owe monthly for their coverage.
A Minnesota Army National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter with three Guardsmen aboard crashed south of St. Cloud on Thursday, said National Guard spokeswoman Army Master Sgt. Blair Heusdens.
At this time, the National Guard is not releasing any information about the status of the three people aboard the helicopter, Heusdens told Task & Purpose on Thursday.
A missing Canadian ex-soldier was reportedly smuggled across the US border and is hiding with a neo-Nazi group
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Former Canadian Army Reserve Master Cpl. Patrik Mathews, 26, was first identified as a member of The Base by Winnipeg Free Press reporter Ryan Thorpe.
Days after Thorpe's report was published, Mathews went missing and was discharged from the military for his alleged ties to the group. His car was found about 10 miles from the U.S. border soon thereafter, and police found a cache of weapons when they raided his home.
Vice reporters Ben Makuch, Mack Lamoureux, and Zachary Kamel, citing confidential sources, reported on Thursday that Mathews had been illegally smuggled across the border and is being hidden by members of The Base, which has operated in encrypted chatrooms as a largely online organization.
The Pentagon's latest attempt to twist itself in knots to deny that it is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East has a big caveat.
Pentagon spokeswoman Alyssa Farah said there are no plans to send that many troops to the region "at this time."
Farah's statement does not rule out the possibility that the Defense Department could initially announce a smaller deployment to the region and subsequently announce that more troops are headed downrange.
The Navy could deploy a second carrier to the Middle East if Trump orders an Iran surge, top admiral says
The Navy could send a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East if President Donald Trump orders a surge of forces to the region, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday said on Thursday.
Gordon Lubold and Nancy Youssef of the Wall Street Journal first reported the United States is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to deter Iran from attacking U.S. forces and regional allies. The surge forces could include several ships.