A 69-year-old Army veteran and Purple Heart recipient died last Monday after saving his 3-year-old granddaughter when his home exploded two weeks ago.
Don Osteen's son Brendon told CNN that his father was lighting a candle next to the stove on September 19 at his home in Maud, Oklahoma, when a propane gas tank attached to the house exploded.
Osteen had been wounded in a grenade explosion during the Vietnam War, CNN reports. According to a GoFundMe for the family, he covered his granddaughter Paetyn with his body to shield her from the explosion.
"Papa rushed to cover Pae with his body to save her from the collapsing house and flames," a GoFundMe for the family reads. "Even with over 78% of Papa's body covered with 3rd degree burns with flesh hanging off his body, a punctured lung and most ribs broken, he carried Pae down the road over a quarter of a mile to find help."
Don Osteen and Paetyn. Photo: GoFundMe
Paetyn had burns over 30% of her body, CNN reports. But on Monday, Brendon posted on Facebook that she "is healing up wonderfully," and is "ready to be home."
Osteen passed away due to a heart attack during surgery, per CNN. Brendon told Oklahoma news station KFOR that his father "was all about that baby and she was all about him."
WASHINGTON/SEOUL (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un risks losing "everything" if he resumes hostility and his country must denuclearize, after the North said it had carried out a "successful test of great significance."
"Kim Jong Un is too smart and has far too much to lose, everything actually, if he acts in a hostile way. He signed a strong Denuclearization Agreement with me in Singapore," Trump said on Twitter, referring to his first summit with Kim in Singapore in 2018.
"He does not want to void his special relationship with the President of the United States or interfere with the U.S. Presidential Election in November," he said.
The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that the United States was considering deploying up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to thwart any potential Iranian attacks. The story made clear that President Trump could ultimately decide to send a smaller number of service members, but defense officials have become fixated on the number 14,000 as if it were the only option on the table.
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. – Gen. David Berger, the US Marine Corps commandant, suggested the concerns surrounding a service members' use of questionable Chinese-owned apps like TikTok should be directed against the military's leadership, rather than the individual troops.
Speaking at the Reagan National Defense Forum in Simi Valley, California, on Saturday morning, Berger said the younger generation of troops had a "clearer view" of the technology "than most people give them credit for."
"That said, I'd give us a 'C-minus' or a 'D' in educating the force on the threat of even technology," Berger said. "Because they view it as two pieces of gear, 'I don't see what the big deal is.'"