Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Dunford: No Changes To DoD Transgender Policy Yet Despite Trump Tweets
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford on July 27 threw the brakes on President Donald Trump’s surprise announcement that the Department of Defense would ban transgender service members from the armed forces, citing the need for a clear directive from the White House beyond the president’s penchant for rule by tweet.
“There will be no modifications to the current policy until the President's direction has been received by the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary has issued implementation guidance,” Dunford said a written memo distributed to branch service chiefs and senior military leaders on July 27. “In the meantime, we will continue to treat all of our personnel with respect.”
On July 26, Trump had tweeted that the Pentagon “will not accept or allow transgender individuals to serve in any capacity” in the armed forces, arguing that the U.S. military “must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail.”
Trump’s proclamation reportedly blindsided not just lawmakers on both sides of the political aisle, but DoD personnel, as well. While the Pentagon has focused on evaluating the impact of transgender service members on the health of the armed forces since Obama Secretary of Defense Ash Carter altered the policy in 2016, current data indicates that Trump’s arguments justifying the ban are empirically flawed.
"The Department of Defense is awaiting formal guidance from the White House as a follow-up to the commander-in-chief's announcement on military service by transgender personnel," Pentagon spokesman Dana White said in a statement July 27. "We will provide detailed guidance to the department in the near future for how this policy change will be implemented. The department will continue to focus on our mission of defending our nation and on-going operations against our foes, while ensuring all service members are treated with respect."
Apart from telegraphing his personal opinion on the matter of transgender service members, Dunford’s message also serves as a gentle rebuke of a commander-in-chief whose surprise announcements frequently leave Pentagon officials scrambling to interpret tweets as policy. Secretary of Defense Mattis himself was reportedly “appalled” by Trump’s announcement, which came during Mattis’s first vacation after spending months carefully evaluating the Obama-era policy.
But Dunford’s statement also sets an important precedent: The American president does not rule by decree, despite the authority vested in President Trump by Article II of the U.S. Constitution. Trump’s tweets, though often interpreted as signals of a broader policy for a content-hungry news media, are not official executive actions in themselves. Besides, the authority for actually maintaining and regulating the composition of the U.S. forces rests squarely on Congress’s shoulders.
This subtext of Dunford’s memo could come as a major relief for some Pentagon officials reportedly on edge over their commander-in-chief’s quixotic approach to military force. According to a BuzzFeed News report, the first tweet in Trump’s salvo “raised fears that the president was getting ready to announce strikes on North Korea” or another major military operation that might leave commanders downrange flat footed.
“Many said they were left in suspense for nine minutes, the time between the first and second tweet,” Buzzfeed News reports. “Only after the second tweet did military officials receive the news the president was announcing a personnel change on Twitter.”
The USS Eagle 56 was only five miles off the coast of Maine when it exploded.
The World War I-era patrol boat split in half, then slipped beneath the surface of the North Atlantic. The Eagle 56 had been carrying a crew of 62. Rescuers pulled 13 survivors from the water that day. It was April 23, 1945, just two weeks before the surrender of Nazi Germany.
The U.S. Navy classified the disaster as an accident, attributing the sinking to a blast in the boiler room. In 2001, that ruling was changed to reflect the sinking as a deliberate act of war, perpetuated by German submarine U-853, a u-boat belonging to Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine.
Still, despite the Navy's effort to clarify the circumstances surrounding the sinking, the Eagle 56 lingered as a mystery. The ship had sunk relatively close to shore, but efforts to locate the wreck were futile for decades. No one could find the Eagle 56, a small patrol ship that had come so close to making it back home.
Then, a group of friends and amateur divers decided to try to find the wreck in 2014. After years of fruitless dives and intensive research, New England-based Nomad Exploration Team successfully located the Eagle 56 in June 2018.
Business Insider spoke to two crew members — meat truck driver Jeff Goodreau and Massachusetts Department of Corrections officer Donald Ferrara — about their discovery.
These CIA officers were the first US boots on the ground in Afghanistan after 9/11 — and one was 'Marine Todd'
Before the 5th Special Forces Group's Operational Detachment Alpha 595, before 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment's MH-47E Chinooks, and before the Air Force combat controllers, there were a handful of CIA officers and a buttload of cash.
The last time the world saw Marine veteran Austin Tice, he had been taken prisoner by armed men. It was unclear whether his captors were jihadists or allies of Syrian dictator Bashar al Assad who were disguised as Islamic radicals.
Blindfolded and nearly out of breath, Tice spoke in Arabic before breaking into English:"Oh Jesus. Oh Jesus."
That was from a video posted on YouTube on Sept. 26, 2012, several weeks after Tice went missing near Damascus, Syria, while working as a freelance journalist for McClatchy and the Washington Post.
Now that Tice has been held in captivity for more than seven years, reporters who have regular access to President Donald Trump need to start asking him how he is going to bring Tice home.
"Shoots like a carbine, holsters like a pistol." That's the pitch behind the new Flux Defense system designed to transform the Army's brand new sidearm into a personal defense weapon.
Sometimes a joke just doesn't work.
For example, the Defense Visual Information Distribution Service tweeted and subsequently deleted a Gilbert Gottfried-esque misfire about the "Storm Area 51" movement.
On Friday DVIDSHUB tweeted a picture of a B-2 bomber on the flight line with a formation of airmen in front of it along with the caption: "The last thing #Millenials will see if they attempt the #area51raid today."