Dyess AFB squadron commander removed from post due to loss of confidence

news

Lt. Col. Pete Leija

(U.S. Air Force photo)

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The commander of an aircraft maintenance squadron at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, has been removed from his position over "loss of confidence" in his ability to lead the unit, the Air Force said Tuesday.


Lt. Col. Pete Leija, head of the 317th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron was removed by Col. Jeffrey Menasco, 317th Airlift Wing commander, on August 5 and is under investigation, Air Force Global Strike spokeswoman 2nd Lt. Kali Gradishar told Military.com. Dyess is also home to the 7th Bomb Wing.

"In order to protect the integrity of the ongoing investigation, details of the allegations are not available at this time," Gradishar said in an email. "Leija's follow-on assignment is still being determined. In the interim, Lt. Col. Jonathan Izworski, the 317th Maintenance Group deputy commander, will lead the unit until a new commander is appointed."

According to a news release, Leija was previously the commander of the 18th Equipment Maintenance Squadron at Kadena Air Base, Japan, prior to his role at the 317th. He has been in the Air Force 18 years, according to Air Force Times, which first reported the relief.

"At this time, the unit is focusing on executing their missions of maintaining aircraft and supporting C-130 operations," Gradishar said.

The maintenance squadron supports the 317th Airlift Wing, activated in 2017 to operate C-130J Hercules aircraft. The 317th falls under the 18th Air Force and Air Mobility Command at Scott Air Force Base, Illinois."This article originally appeared on Military.com

More articles from Military.com:

The FBI is treating the recent shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, as a terrorist attack, several media outlets reported on Sunday.

"We work with the presumption that this was an act of terrorism," USA Today quoted FBI Agent Rachel Rojas as saying at a news conference.

Read More Show Less

WASHINGTON/SEOUL (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un risks losing "everything" if he resumes hostility and his country must denuclearize, after the North said it had carried out a "successful test of great significance."

"Kim Jong Un is too smart and has far too much to lose, everything actually, if he acts in a hostile way. He signed a strong Denuclearization Agreement with me in Singapore," Trump said on Twitter, referring to his first summit with Kim in Singapore in 2018.

"He does not want to void his special relationship with the President of the United States or interfere with the U.S. Presidential Election in November," he said.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Vaughan Dill/Released)

The three sailors whose lives were cut short by a gunman at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, on Friday "showed exceptional heroism and bravery in the face of evil," said base commander Navy Capt. Tim Kinsella.

Ensign Joshua Kaleb Watson, Airman Mohammed Sameh Haitham, and Airman Apprentice Cameron Scott Walters were killed in the shooting, the Navy has announced.

Read More Show Less

The Pentagon has a credibility problem that is the result of the White House's scorched earth policy against any criticism. As a result, all statements from senior leaders are suspect.

We're beyond the point of defense officials being unable to say for certain whether a dog is a good boy or girl. Now we're at the point where the Pentagon has spent three days trying to knock down a Wall Street Journal story about possible deployments to the Middle East, and they've failed to persuade either the press or Congress.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that the United States was considering deploying up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to thwart any potential Iranian attacks. The story made clear that President Trump could ultimately decide to send a smaller number of service members, but defense officials have become fixated on the number 14,000 as if it were the only option on the table.

Read More Show Less

This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. – Gen. David Berger, the US Marine Corps commandant, suggested the concerns surrounding a service members' use of questionable Chinese-owned apps like TikTok should be directed against the military's leadership, rather than the individual troops.

Speaking at the Reagan National Defense Forum in Simi Valley, California, on Saturday morning, Berger said the younger generation of troops had a "clearer view" of the technology "than most people give them credit for."

"That said, I'd give us a 'C-minus' or a 'D' in educating the force on the threat of even technology," Berger said. "Because they view it as two pieces of gear, 'I don't see what the big deal is.'"

Read More Show Less