The news gods will be busy while The Pentagon Run-Down is on vacation

Pentagon Run-Down
An aerial view of the Pentagon building in Washington, June 15, 2005. U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld defended the Guantanamo prison against critics who want it closed by saying U.S. taxpayers have a big financial stake in it and no other facility could replace it at a Pentagon briefing on Tuesday. (Reuters/Jason Reed JIR/CN)

Beloved readers: Your friendly correspondent is about to leave on vacation, so The Pentagon Run-Down is taking a hiatus until Sept. 13, by which time this reporter should have recovered from whatever debilitating disease he caught on those God-forsaken germ tubes that we call "airplanes."

No kidding. When this reporter accompanied former Defense Secretary James Mattis – blessed be his name – to India and Afghanistan last year, he came back with a nasty cough and a case of pink eye. (Turned out I was patient zero because other reporters on the trip came down with the same plague after returning.)


By this time next week, this reporter's boss will likely be replying to an email from yours truly asking, "What do you mean you came down with a 'mild case of Ebola'?"

But the news waits for no one, so expect much to happen during this reporter's absence. The last time your friend and humble narrator took a vacation, President Donald Trump decided not to withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria after all and Mattis left the Pentagon, causing a notable drop in lethality throughout the building.

One big event that could happen at any time would be an announcement that the United States and Taliban have reached a political agreement to end the war in Afghanistan.

Such an agreement is no sure thing as both sides remain apart on the number of U.S. troops should remain in Afghanistan to fight terrorist groups, such as ISIS – Trump wants 8,600; the Taliban want 0.

It remains to be seen how both sides will square that circle. The president has often said he wants to end the U.S. military's commitment to the war in Afghanistan, but some of Trump's allies such as Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) are arguing against a full withdrawal.

Since Afghanistan has not known a day of real peace since the Soviets invaded 40 years ago, there's a pretty good chance the United States and the Taliban will still be enemies by the time this reporter gets back from sick leave.

Speaking of which, around the time your friend and humble narrator gets the Croatian equivalent of the Navy's "silver bullet" suppository next week, Democratic presidential candidate Mayor Pete Buttigieg could finally respond to my longstanding interview request.

It's been nearly seven months since this reporter initially asked for an interview with Buttigieg, who served in Afghanistan with the Navy. His spokeswoman recently said the mayor should respond to my emailed queries after Labor Day.

True, it could be a very long time after Labor Day by the time Buttigieg responds, but since this reporter likely will be incommunicado for the next week, karma demands that the mayor's reply be among the 17 billion unread emails that yours truly will have to sort through after vacation.

Of course, the biggest news next week will be about Mattis' upcoming book Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead. Expect to see the retired Marine general promoting his book on television shows while artfully dodging questions about whether he believes Trump is fit to be commander-in-chief.

Although Mattis resigned in protest about Trump's initial decision to withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria, Mattis outright refuses to criticize the president publicly, citing the French idea of devoir de reserve – the duty of silence.

"When you leave an administration over clear policy differences, you need to give the people who are still there as much opportunity as possible to defend the country," Mattis recently told Jeffrey Goldberg, editor of The Atlantic.

However, Mattis acknowledged that Trump's May 25 tweet praising North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un and ridiculing former Vice President Joe Biden was "beneath the dignity of the presidency."

That's the real lesson of Mattis' tenure as defense secretary: There is no place for civilized leaders in a town where everyone is a middle schooler.

And he's not wrong: Washington, D.C, is a gigantic brothel populated by whores who think they are actually pimps. This reporter looks forward to getting away from the nation's asshole magnet – if only for a few days.

Jeff Schogol covers the Pentagon for Task & Purpose. He has covered the military for 14 years and embedded with U.S. troops in Iraq and Haiti. Prior to joining T&P, he covered the Marine Corps and Air Force at Military Times. Comments or thoughts to share? Send them to Jeff Schogol via email at schogol@taskandpurpose.com or direct message @JeffSchogol on Twitter.

Soldiers from the 1-118th Field Artillery Regiment of the 48th Infantry Brigade Combat Team fire an M777 Howitzer during a fire mission in Southern Afghanistan, June 10th, 2019. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Jordan Trent)

Once again, the United States and the Taliban are apparently close to striking a peace deal. Such a peace agreement has been rumored to be in the works longer than the latest "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" sequel. (The difference is Keanu Reeves has fewer f**ks to give than U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad.)

Both sides appeared to be close to reaching an agreement in September until the Taliban took credit for an attack that killed Army Sgt. 1st Class Elis A. Barreto Ortiz, of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division. That prompted President Donald Trump to angrily cancel a planned summit with the Taliban that had been scheduled to take place at Camp David, Maryland, on Sept. 8.

Now Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen has told a Pakistani newspaper that he is "optimistic" that the Taliban could reach an agreement with U.S. negotiators by the end of January.

Read More
Audie Murphy (U.S. Army photo)

Editor's note: a version of this post first appeared in 2018

On January 26, 1945, the most decorated U.S. service member of World War II earned his legacy in a fiery fashion.

Read More
A Purple Heart (DoD photo)

Florida's two senators are pushing the Defense Department to award Purple Hearts to the U.S. service members wounded in the December shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola.

Read More
Ships from Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 23 transit the Pacific Ocean Jan. 22, 2020. DESRON 23, part of the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group, is on a scheduled deployment to the Indo-Pacific. (U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Erick A. Parsons)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The Navy and Marine Corps need to be a bit more short-sighted when assessing how many ships they need, the acting Navy secretary said this week.

The Navy Department is in the middle of a new force-structure review, which could change the number and types of ships the sea services say they'll need to fight future conflicts. But instead of trying to project what they will need three decades out, which has been the case in past assessments, acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said the services will take a shorter view.

"I don't know what the threat's going to be 30 years from now, but if we're building a force structure for 30 years from now, I would suggest we're probably not building the right one," he said Friday at a National Defense Industrial Association event.

The Navy completed its last force-structure assessment in 2016. That 30-year plan called for a 355-ship fleet.

Read More
Master-at-Arms 3rd Class Oscar Temores and his family. (GoFundMe)

When Oscar Jesus Temores showed up to work at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story each day, his colleagues in base security knew they were in for a treat.

Temores was a master-at-arms who loved his job and cracking corny jokes.

"He just he just had that personality that you can go up to him and talk to him about anything. It was goofy and weird, and he always had jokes," said Petty Officer 3rd Class Derek Lopez, a fellow base patrolman. "Sometimes he'd make you cry from laughter and other times you'd just want to cringe because of how dumb his joke was. But that's what made him more approachable and easy to be around."

That ability to make others laugh and put people at ease is just one of the ways Temores is remembered by his colleagues. It has been seven weeks since the 23-year-old married father of one was killed when a civilian intruder crashed his pickup truck into Temores' vehicle at Fort Story.

Read More