Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Dashcam video captures the moment a pilot ejected before his F-16 fighter jet slammed into a California warehouse
Dashcam footage from a freeway commuter shows the moment a pilot ejected from an F-16 military jet last week, releasing a parachute before the aircraft slammed into a Riverside County, California warehouse.
The pilot had reported hydraulic problems with the single-engine Fighting Falcon before bailing. The pilot, who has not been publicly identified, planned to return to the March Air Reserve Base on the other side of the freeway, but was instead forced to eject from the aircraft.
After ejecting from the jet and deploying a parachute, the pilot landed safely in a nearby field. The unmanned jet then crashed into the See Water Inc. warehouse, west of the airfield and adjacent to the 215 Freeway and Metrolink train tracks between the Moreno Valley/March Field and downtown Perris stations.
The footage, shot by YouTube user James Dyer from the 215 Freeway near the Van Buren Boulevard exit, focuses on the road ahead as traffic moves along steadily. The jet appears suddenly in the upper-left frame, plummeting downward. A burst of smoke appears as the pilot ejects, and the plane glides at a distance into the center of the frame. Traffic slows, then comes to a stop.
A person inside the building when the jet crashed recorded the immediate aftermath and posted the footage on Facebook.
"Holy … dude. That's a … airplane; that's a military airplane in our building," he said.
The crash ruptured the building's sprinkler system. In the midst of the debris, water can be seen pouring from the roof.
The jet was flying with a standard armament package. The area around the crash and several nearby businesses were closed, and once secured, the ordnance was detonated in a nearby field.
No one was seriously injured in the crash. Ten people were treated in an emergency room and three others were taken to a hospital with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening. The pilot was taken to a hospital and released in good condition.
According to the U.S. Air Force, the jet was assigned to the 114th Fighter Wing in Sioux Falls, S.D. It was on a training mission for North American Aerospace Defense Command at the time of the crash.
©2019 the Los Angeles Times. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
WATCH NEXT: That Time An Air Force Colonel Flew An F-16 To A Pentagon Booty Call
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.
After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.
But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.
That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.
After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.
Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.
"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."
SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.
NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — The Air Force is reviewing whether some airmen's valor awards deserve to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor, Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said on Tuesday.
Goldfein revealed that several airmen are being considered for the nation's highest military award during a press conference at the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. He declined to say exactly who could receive the Medal of Honor, pending the outcome of the review process.