Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Security forces commander at Air Force ICBM base relieved following investigation
Officials with Air Force Global Strike Command's 90th Missile Wing announced Monday that Col. Damian Schlussel, commander of the 90th Security Forces Group, relieved Lt. Col. Nicholas Petren, head of the 90th SFS, "due to a loss of confidence" in his leadership.
Petren assumed the role in July 2018, according to the service.
Terry Higgins, a public affairs specialist with the 90th Missile Wing, said there had been an investigation into Petren, as ordered by Schlussel. Higgins could not discuss the nature of the investigation but said it concluded Sept. 9.
"The Air Force values and encourages a positive work atmosphere where all airmen are treated with dignity and respect and cannot condone leadership actions that do not uphold these ideals," officials said in a news release. "A temporary commander has been appointed until a permanent replacement is in place."
Petren has been temporarily reassigned at the base "until he is due to rotate to another duty location," the release adds.
The squadron is responsible for base law enforcement, manning gates and guarding high-priority areas, including 15 missile alert facilities and 150 Minuteman III Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs). F. E. Warren became the U.S.' first operational ICBM base in 1958.
Petren started his career as a flight leader and executive officer in the 325th Security Forces Squadron at Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, the service said in a news announcement when he assumed command last year.
The Wing has seen other reliefs in the past 18 months.
In May 2018, the head of the 90th Civil Engineer Squadron at Warren and her enlisted counterpart were both removed from their leadership positions.
Lt. Col. Erin Weatherly and Chief Master Sgt. James Clark were removed from their duties after a leadership change was deemed necessary, Wing spokeswoman 2nd Lt. Mikayla K. Gomez said at the time.
"Col. Stacy Jo Huser, 90th Missile Wing commander, lost confidence in their abilities to carry out their duties and determined that new leadership was necessary to ensure the highest levels of precision from a squadron leadership," Gomez said.
This article originally appeared on Military.com
More articles from Military.com:
Retired Army Master Sgt. Mark Allen has died 10 years after he was shot in the head while searching for deserter Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl in Afghanistan.
Allen died on Saturday at the age of 46, according to funeral information posted online.
For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.
"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.
In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.
"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."
Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Sunday he and the Pentagon will comply with House Democrats' impeachment inquiry subpoena, but it'll be on their own schedule.
"We will do everything we can to cooperate with the Congress," Esper said on CBS' "Face the Nation." "Just in the last week or two, my general counsel sent out a note — as we typically do in these situations — to ensure documents are retained."
Most of the U.S. troops in Syria are being moved out of the country as Turkish forces and their Arab allies push further into Kurdish territory than originally expected, Task & Purpose has learned.
Roughly 1,000 U.S. troops are withdrawing from Syria, leaving a residual force of between 100 and 150 service members at the Al Tanf garrison, a U.S. official said.
"I spoke with the president last night after discussions with the rest of the national security team and he directed that we begin a deliberate withdrawal of forces from northern Syria," Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Sunday's edition of CBS News' "Face the Nation."'
More than 700 women and children affiliated with ISIS escape Kurdish prison camp after Turkish shelling
BEIRUT/ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Women affiliated with Islamic State and their children fled en masse from a camp where they were being held in northern Syria on Sunday after shelling by Turkish forces in a five-day-old offensive, the region's Kurdish-led administration said.
Turkey's cross-border attack in northern Syria against Kurdish forces widened to target the town of Suluk which was hit by Ankara's Syrian rebel allies. There were conflicting accounts on the outcome of the fighting.
Turkey is facing threats of possible sanctions from the United States unless it calls off the incursion. Two of its NATO allies, Germany and France, have said they are halting weapons exports to Turkey. The Arab League has denounced the operation.