This Company Is Taking Aim At California's Gun Laws With A Brand New AR-15

news

In 2016, California lawmakers made it significantly more difficult for citizens to possess their very own AR-15 assault rifle. Now, one firearms manufacturer wants to make it easier for Second Amendment devotees to flex their semi-automatic muscles.


SB 880, which went into effect on Jan. 1, 2017, mandates unregistered AR-15s come equipped with a fixed magazine system that forces owners to effectively take apart their rifle to remove and replace — a supposed curb on detachable magazines in response to the deadly San Bernardino mass shooting in December 2015.

In response, weapons maker Springfield Armory announced last week that the company’s signature AR platform, the Saint, will go featureless, offering California residents a chance to own what’s effectively a fully functional AR-15 while avoiding the new registration requirements established by the state.

The company has developed custom Saint AR platforms for California gun enthusiasts in the past, but the new line is a big deal. Instead of resorting to modifying existing AR models with innovative upgrades like the Mean Arms MA Loader, California consumers now have a manufacturer on their side when it comes to dealing with the new law.

[embed][/embed]

“I think it’s also important for our customers to know that we are developing a California compliant version of our Saint rifle,” Springfield sales and marketing chief Jeremy Rosenberg told Guns.com. “We are working with a couple of other partners and some other manufacturers to put together a very, very nice rifle that will still be California compliant as well.”

The original Saint, Springfield’s first attempt at building a better AR-15, was unveiled in early November 2016 and currently retails for around $899. The company showed off the California-compliant version of the rifle at January’s SHOT Show in Las Vegas, Nevada:

[embed][/embed]

It’s unclear how much the featureless version of the platform will cost; the Stag Arms featureless AR, announced at the end of 2016, starts at just over $1,000. But California residents are likely hoping it’ll be cheaper — or at least less hassle — than shelling out a few hundred bucks to modify their existing arsenal.

Maj. Gen. William C. Lee

A marble statue memorializing the founder of the U.S. Army Airborne was set on fire Thursday in North Carolina, and museum officials believe it happened because vandals confused it for a Confederate memorial, according to the Dunn Daily Record and other media outlets.

Read More Show Less

A top Senate Republican and fierce ally of President Donald Trump reportedly exploded at Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan recently about the U.S. military's plans to withdraw all troops from Syria by the end of April.

"That's the dumbest f******g idea I've ever heard," Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) reportedly replied when Shanahan confirmed the Trump administration still plans to complete the Syria withdrawal by April 30.

Later, Graham told Shanahan, "I am now your adversary, not your friend."

Read More Show Less
Airmen with the 379th Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron pump water from a flooded common living area to an area with less impact on the local population, Dec. 13, 2009, in Southwest Asia. (U.S. Air Force/ Staff Sgt. Sharon Singer)

The definition of insanity, the old saying goes, is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result — a definition that applies perfectly to the Trump administration's response to the looming national security threat of global climate change.

Read More Show Less

After more than a decade and billions spent developing the consistently troubled F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the Air Force is eyeing a new variant of the F-15 — much to lawmakers' dismay.

Read More Show Less
Islamic state members walk in the last besieged neighborhood in the village of Baghouz, Deir Al Zor province, Syria February 18, 2019. (Reuters/Rodi Said)

NEAR BAGHOUZ, Syria (Reuters) - The Islamic State appeared closer to defeat in its last enclave in eastern Syria on Wednesday, as a civilian convoy left the besieged area where U.S.-backed forces estimate a few hundred jihadists are still holed up.

Read More Show Less