Federal Sting Finds Transfer Of Restricted Military Surplus To Local Police Is Way Too Lax

news
A police officer stands guard Monday, April 27, 2015, after rioters plunged part of Baltimore into chaos, torching a pharmacy, setting police cars ablaze and throwing bricks at officers.
AP Photo/Matt Rourke

A federal sting operation uncovered lax oversight by the Defense Department agency tasked with transferring military surplus to law enforcement agencies, potentially allowing illicit purchases of “controlled properties” such as night-vision goggles and simulated pipe bombs.


Government Accountability Office investigators set up a fictitious agency with the intent of submitting requests for potentially lethal items sold under the Law Enforcement Support Office program, also known as the 1033 program. It is administered by the Defense Logistics Agency, which is already taking steps to tighten security around the transfers.

“In less than a week after submitting the requests, our fictitious agency was approved for the transfer of over 100 controlled property items with a total estimated value of about $1.2 million,” the GAO said in a report released Tuesday.

Controlled items are “sensitive in nature,” the GAO said, that are not allowed to be released to the general public. Among these items are night-vision goggles, thermal-imaging equipment, specialized printers, explosive ordnance detonation robots, certain small arms, Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles and aircraft.

Items requested ranged in price from $277 to more than $600,000.

The LESO program also transfers non-controlled items, such as medical supplies, furniture and tents.

The GAO’s bogus agency, which had its own sham website, was earlier this year able to obtain, among other things, simulated pipe bombs and simulated rifles used by the military for training. With alterations, those items could be made to function, the GAO said.

A GAO investigator, using LESO-approved documentation and fake identification and law enforcement credentials, passed security checks and was allowed to enter warehouse sites.

“Personnel at two of the three sites did not request or check for valid identification of our investigator picking up the property,” the GAO said.

In one case, the fake agency received more items than actually requested. In a request for 48 infrared illuminators, which are usually used on weapons to illuminate or pinpoint a target in the dark, the GAO was given 51 illuminators in pouches — although one pouch turned out to be empty.

Congress authorized the transfer of certain military equipment and parts to law enforcement agencies in 1989. The guidelines governing such transfers have morphed since then.

In the late 1990s, there was a surge of transfers to counterdrug police teams, stemming from the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994.

Public backlash at the sight of police using military armored vehicles to confront protesters in 2014 during standoffs in Ferguson, Mo., led President Barack Obama to curtail the transfer of items such as helicopters and grenade launchers.

Republicans have introduced legislation in the House to overturn those Obama-era restrictions, and the Trump White House has expressed a desire for more, not fewer, of such transfers.

As of August 2016, more than 8,600 federal, state and local law enforcement agencies were participating in the LESO program, but most transfers were to the latter two, the GAO said.

In the years 2013 through 2015, about two-thirds of DOD-controlled property items were transferred to state and local agencies, the GAO said.

Transfers of controlled property during that three-year period totaled about $1.07 billion for 388,570 items. The dollar amount is based on what the Defense Department initially paid for the items, not their actual value today.

The Pentagon agreed with the GAO’s recommendations that the Defense Logistics Agency strengthen internal controls over transfers and conduct a fraud-risk assessment.

The DLA has already revised its procedures for verifying and approving applications by federal agencies, the GAO said. The fraud assessment and a mitigation strategy will be completed by April 2018.

———

©2017 the Stars and Stripes. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Photo: US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia

A former sailor who was busted buying firearms with his military discount and then reselling some of them to criminals is proving to be a wealth of information for federal investigators.

Julio Pino used his iPhone to record most, if not all, of his sales, court documents said. He even went so far as to review the buyers' driver's license on camera.

It is unclear how many of Pino's customer's now face criminal charges of their own. Federal indictments generally don't provide that level of detail and Assistant U.S. Attorney William B. Jackson declined to comment.

Read More Show Less
Photo illustration by Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

It all began with a medical check.

Carson Thomas, a healthy and fit 20-year-old infantryman who had joined the Army after a brief stint in college, figured he should tell the medics about the pain in his groin he had been feeling. It was Feb. 12, 2012, and the senior medic looked him over and decided to send him to sick call at the base hospital.

It seemed almost routine, something the Army doctors would be able to diagnose and fix so he could get back to being a grunt.

Now looking back on what happened some seven years later, it was anything but routine.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Army Cpt. Katrina Hopkins and Chief Warrant Officer 2 James Rogers, assigned to Task Force Warhorse, pilot a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter during a medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) operation at Camp Taji, Iraq, Dec. 18, 2018. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Javion Siders)

U.S. forces must now ask the Iraqi military for permission to fly in Iraqi airspace before coming to the aid of U.S. troops under fire, a top military spokesman said.

However, the mandatory approval process is not expected to slow down the time it takes the U.S. military to launch close air support and casualty evacuation missions for troops in the middle of a fight, said Army Col. James Rawlinson, a spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve.

Read More Show Less
Army Spc. Clayton James Horne

Army Spc. Clayton James Horne died in Saudi Arabia on Aug. 17, making him the eighth non-combat fatality for Operation Inherent Resolve so far this year, defense officials have announced.

Horne, 23, was assigned to the 351st Military Police Company, 160th Military Police Battalion, an Army Reserve unit based in Ocala, Florida, a Pentagon news release says.

Read More Show Less
Joshua Yabut/Twitter

The soldier who was arrested for taking an armored personnel carrier on a slow-speed police chase through Virginia has been found not guilty by reason of insanity on two charges, according to The Richmond-Times Dispatch.

Joshua Phillip Yabut, 30, entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle — in this case, a 12-ton APC taken from Fort Pickett in June 2018 — and violating the terms of his bond, which stemmed from a trip to Iraq he took in March 2019 (which was not a military deployment).

Read More Show Less