First Female Soldier In Decades Selected For Green Beret Training

Bullet Points

The Army is one step closer to having its first female Green Beret since all combat jobs were opened to women.


  • An unnamed female soldier recently completed the 24-day Special Forces Assessment and Selection phase of training and has been selected to attend the Special Forces Qualification Course, which can last up to 24 months, said U.S. Army Special Operations Command spokesman Lt. Col. Loren Bymer.

  • “We’re proud of all the candidates who attended and were selected to continue into the qualification course in hopes of earning their Green Beret,” Bymer said in an email to Task & Purpose.
  • “It is our policy to not release the names of our service members because Special Forces Soldiers perform discrete missions upon graduation," he added. "Please respect the decision of these soldiers to enter into this profession by protecting their identity to the fullest extent.”
  • No matter what happens next, the fact the woman passed Special Forces Assessment and Selection is a major achievement. The training is both physically and mentally brutal and has a high washout rate.
  • News that the female soldier had been selected for the Special Forces Qualification Course was first tweeted on Wednesday by Howard Altman, military reporter for the Tampa Bay Times.
  • In 1981 Capt. Kathleen Wilder became the first woman to be Special Forces qualified. Although Wilder made it through the training, she was told she had failed a field exercise, the New York Times reported at the time. After she filed a sex discrimination complaint, Army Training and Doctrine Command ruled that she had in fact completed Special Forces training.

SEE ALSO: Mattis Can’t Say If Having Women In The Infantry Will Work Or Not

WATCH NEXT:

UPDATE: This story was updated at 9:50 on Nov. 14 to include that Capt. Kathleen Wilder was the first female soldier to complete Special Forces training.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.

After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.

But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.

Read More Show Less

That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.

After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.

Read More Show Less

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.

"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."

Read More Show Less
Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.

Read More Show Less

NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — The Air Force is reviewing whether some airmen's valor awards deserve to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor, Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said on Tuesday.

Goldfein revealed that several airmen are being considered for the nation's highest military award during a press conference at the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. He declined to say exactly who could receive the Medal of Honor, pending the outcome of the review process.

Read More Show Less