Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
First Female Enlisted Soldier Earns Army Ranger Tab
A U.S. Army staff sergeant is the first female enlisted soldier to graduate from Ranger School, joining a small group of women to earn the coveted Ranger Tab.
Staff Sgt. Amanda Kelley of the 1st Armored Division became the 13th woman to successfully complete the grueling 62-day small-unit leadership course. The graduation ceremony was held Friday at Fort Benning, Georgia, Megan Reed, a spokeswoman for Training and Doctrine Command told Military.com.
Kelley is a 29-year-old electronic warfare technician with the 1st A.D.’s Combat Aviation Brigade at Fort Bliss, Texas, according to Lt. Col. Crystal Boring, a spokeswoman with the 1st A.D.
Newsweek first reported on this story.
Benning released few details on Kelley’s graduation from the course; officials did not say whether it was her first attempt or when she entered the pipeline.
“Ranger Class 08-18 began the last week of July 2018 with 347 students and graduated today with 127 students,” Ben Garrett, spokesman for Benning’s Maneuver Center of Excellence, said in an email.
It’s been just over three years since the Army opened the traditionally all-male course to women in April 2015. Out of the 19 women who originally volunteered for that first coed Ranger class, Capt. Kristen Griest and 1st Lt. Shaye Haver became the first women to earn the distinctive gold and black shoulder tab that August.
Some have accused the Army of lowering the standards to make it easier on women, but senior leaders and Ranger instructors have disagreed, maintaining that the standards have remained the same.
Ranger School was originally created in 1952 and has become the Army's premier infantry leadership course; an ordeal that pushes students to their physical and mental limits.
Only about 40 percent of male students successfully complete the course on average, Army officials say. And only about 25 percent of Ranger School students graduate without having to repeat at least one of the course’s three phases.
This story first appeared on Military.com
Read more from Military.com:
- National Guard Troops to Stay on Border for Another Year
- Guard Soldier Uses Medical Skills to Save Boy's Life
- Retired Air Force Four-Star: How to Solve Aviation Crisis
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.
After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.
But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.
That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.
After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.
Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.
"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."
SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.
NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — The Air Force is reviewing whether some airmen's valor awards deserve to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor, Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said on Tuesday.
Goldfein revealed that several airmen are being considered for the nation's highest military award during a press conference at the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. He declined to say exactly who could receive the Medal of Honor, pending the outcome of the review process.