Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
First Female Enlisted Sailor Gets Submarine-Qualified
Editor’s Note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared on Military.com, the premier source of information for the military and veteran community.
A chief petty officer has become the first woman to earn the Navy's "silver dolphins," signaling an enlisted sailor qualified to serve aboard a submarine.
Chief culinary specialist will deploy aboard the nuclear-powered guided-missile submarine Michigan in coming months, the first sub to deploy with a crew including enlisted female sailors.
According to an announcement from Submarine Group 9, out of Puget Sound, Washington, Saavedra received her pin at a ceremony Tuesday, marking a major milestone for female sailors.
"I couldn't be more proud to wear the 'dolphins,' " Saavedra said in a statement. "To have earned the respect of my fellow submariners is more rewarding than expected. I am honored to serve as a qualified member in such a prestigious community."
The Michigan is undergoing a maintenance period at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard that will wrap up this summer. A spokesman for Submarine Group 9, Lt. Cmdr. Michael Smith, said a specific timeframe for deployment has not been made clear.
When the sub deploys, Smith said, approximately 20 percent of the enlisted crew will be female, or about 29 sailors: two chief petty officers and 27 crew members at the rank of petty officer first class and below.
The first four female enlisted sailors entered submarine school in August 2015, crossing one of the last major barriers to women serving in the Navy. In all, 38 enlisted women were selected to enter the training pipeline last year.
Officials said in today's announcement that 38 female sailors were selected in a second cycle in May and are designated for future assignment to the cruise missile submarine Florida, out of Kings Bay, Georgia. Officials have said enlisted women will be serving aboard Virginia-class nuclear-powered fast attack submarines by 2020.
The Navy began integrating women into submarine crews in 2010, beginning with female officers. In 2012, the first four female officers received their "gold dolphin" pins. To date, Smith said, more than 43 female officers have become sub-qualified.
Smith said Saavedra was not currently available for interview.
The first sub deployments with women were not without incident. In late 2014, it came to light that a male sailor aboard the ballistic missile submarine Wyoming had filmed female officers in the sub's shower area and then distributed the videos. Ultimately, a dozen sailors were investigated in connection to the incident, and 10 received punishments ranging from fines to demotion and time behind bars.
In 2014, Navy officials said enlisted female sailors would be assigned to subs that had female officers already assigned to them so that the officers can provide mentorship and support in a challenging environment.
Officials with SUBGRU 9 said the Navy would announced a third application round for enlisted women interested in serving aboard submarines in October. Applicants who are selected in that round will serve aboard the guided-missile sub Ohio, out of Bangor, Washington.
The article originally appeared on Military.com.
More from Military.com:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Friday that no U.S. troops will take part in enforcing the so-called safe zone in northern Syria and the United States "is continuing our deliberate withdrawal from northeastern Syria."
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan earlier on Friday said Turkey will set up a dozen observation posts across northeast Syria, insisting that a planned "safe zone" will extend much further than U.S. officials said was covered under a fragile ceasefire deal.
On Tuesday at the Association of the U.S. Army's annual conference, Army families had the opportunity to tell senior leaders exactly what was going on in their worlds — an opportunity that is, unfortunately, all too rare.
A new documentary series about Clint Lorance pits the infantry officer convicted of murder against his former soldiers
The fog of war, just kills, and war crimes are the focus of a new documentary series coming to STARZ. Titled Leavenworth, the five-part series profiles 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, the Army infantry officer who was convicted on murder charges for ordering his soldiers to fire on three unarmed Afghan men on a motorcycle, killing two and wounding the third, while deployed to the Zhari district in Kandahar province, on July 2, 2012.
A big stereotype surrounding U.S. service members and veterans is that they are defined only by their military service, from buying "Dysfunctional Veteran" t-shirts to playing hard-boiled, high-octane first-person shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty (we honestly have no idea where anyone could get that impression).
But the folks at OSD (formerly called Operation Supply Drop), a non-profit veteran service organization that aims to help troops and vets connect with each other through free video games, service programs and other activities, recently found that most of the gamers they've served actually prefer less military-centric fare like sports games and fantasy RPGs.
CEYLANPINAR, Turkey (Reuters) - Shelling could be heard at the Syrian-Turkish border on Friday morning despite a five-day ceasefire agreed between Turkey and the United States, and Washington said the deal covered only a small part of the territory Ankara aims to seize.
Reuters journalists at the border heard machine-gun fire and shelling and saw smoke rising from the Syrian border battlefield city of Ras al Ain, although the sounds of fighting had subsided by mid-morning.
The truce, announced on Thursday by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence after talks in Ankara with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, sets out a five-day pause to let the Kurdish-led SDF militia withdraw from an area controlled by Turkish forces.
The SDF said air and artillery attacks continued to target its positions and civilian targets in Ral al Ain.
"Turkey is violating the ceasefire agreement by continuing to attack the town since last night," SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali tweeted.
The Kurdish-led administration in the area said Turkish truce violations in Ras al Ain had caused casualties, without giving details.