Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Editor’s Note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared on Military.com, the premier source of information for the military and veteran community.
The 50-page plan was made public on Thursday, March 10, after the Pentagon announced that all services' plans to open previously closed combat and special ops positions to women had been approved. The announcement means the services can now begin training, recruiting and assignment to place female troops in previously closed jobs.
According to the document, the first enlisted female sailors could enter the Naval Special Warfare training beginning with the prep course at Great Lakes, Illinois, in May, complete qualification September 2017, and undergo unit assignment the following month. For officers, the earliest possible scenario would see women entering training December, completing qualification in January 2018, and receiving assignments the following month.
For special warfare combatant-craft crewmen, an enlisted-only position, women could begin training as early as May and undergo assignment as soon as March 2017.
"These dates were determined using best-case scenarios for the [Naval Special Warfare] operator pipeline assuming qualified application packages are received by the prescribed deadlines…and there are no delays," Rear Adm. Brian Losey, commander of Naval Special Warfare Command, wrote in a memo that introduces the implementation plan. "Most likely, start dates would shift to the next consecutive class number."
He added that attrition and set-back rates would also play a role in how quickly women can enter these elite communities. SEAL officers have a 65% success rate; enlisted SEAL candidates have a 28% success rate; and SWCC candidates have only a 38% success rate, Losey said. Eighty percent of all students in SEAL and SWCC training pipelines experience a performance or medical setback that delays their progress, he said.
The Navy's plan describes lessons learned from the entry of women into the Navy explosive ordnance disposal and Navy diver communities. Officials warn that newly opened NSW positions will see relatively low interest from women and lower success rates.
Female EOD officers make up just 2.5% of the total EOD officer population, the document states, while enlisted female EOD personnel make up just 0.9% of their community. Only 0.6% of Navy divers are women.
Planners also warned against applying a quota system to fill newly opened positions with women, saying that quotas used in the past go unfilled and that they result in less-qualified candidates and "contribute to higher female attrition rates."
A better solution is a gender-blind selection process, the plan states.
At the Navy's Special Warfare Center in Coronado, California, the plan recommends increasing female staff by a factor of five in order to ensure female sailors entering the community have opportunities to be successful.
For the Navy's elite Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL school and other elements of the NSW pipeline, planners found the introduction of female students would require very little added infrastructure.
The plan recommends spending $175,000 to install security cameras at BUD/S barracks and another $100,000 for shower and bathroom facilities for female sailors.
At BUD/S, the Navy proposes "open bay" barracks facilities for male and female students, with privacy partitions built in to create gender-specific bathroom facilities.
Losey maintained the Navy's commitment to maintaining rigorous standards for Naval Special Warfare as the service opens the community to women.
"Any deviation from the validated, operationally relevant, gender-neutral standards would undermine true integration, disrupt unit cohesion, impact combat effectiveness, and be a disservice to those exceptional candidates willing to test and serve against the required and validated standards," he wrote.
The article originally appeared on Military.com.
More from Military.com:
Video footage of a purported "bombing of Kurd civilians" by Turkish military forces shown on ABC News appeared to be a nighttime firing of tracer rounds at a Kentucky gun range.
For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.
"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.
In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.
"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."
The U.S. military's seemingly never-ending mission supporting civil authorities along the southwestern border will last at least another year.
On Sept. 3, Defense Secretary Mark Esper approved a request from the Department of Homeland Security to provide a total of up to 5,500 troops along the border until Sept. 30, 2020, Lt. Gen. Laura Richardson, commander of U.S. Army North, said on Monday.
Editor's note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia announced on Monday it would hold a large test of its Strategic Missile Forces that will see it fire ballistic and cruise missiles from the land, sea and air this week.
The exercise, from Oct. 15-17, will involve around 12,000 military personnel, as well as aircraft, including strategic nuclear bombers, surface ships and submarines, Russia's Ministry of Defense said in a statement.