Jennifer Grieves, the first female Marine One aircraft commander, was relieved of command after failing to report her off-duty arrest for assault to her superiors.
Lt. Col. Jennifer Grieves, the first woman to command the presidential helicopter Marine One in 2009, has been fired from her post as a squadron C.O. after failing to report her off-duty arrest for assault to her superiors.
Grieves was relieved of command of Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 464, at Marine Corps Air Station New River, by Maj. Gen. Matthew Glavy, the commander for 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, according to a statement from II Marine Expeditionary Force.
Glavy removed Grieves “due to a loss of trust and confidence in her ability to continue to lead,” the statement said, after an “off-duty incident that was not properly reported.”
In December, Grieves was arrested at her home in Sneads Ferry, North Carolina, on a charge of “simple assault,” and was released on $500 bail. The arrest was related to a domestic dispute and the charge is still pending, according to an Onslow County Sheriff’s Department arrest report obtained by Military.com's Hope Hodge Seck.
Grieves, who enlisted in the 1990s before earning a commission in 1998, has deployed to the Horn of Africa, as well as Afghanistan, and her awards include two Air Medals-Individual Action, three Meritorious Service Medals, five Air Medals-Strike/Flight, and a Combat Action Ribbon, according to her official Marine Corps bio.She took command of HMH-464 in May 2016.
Command of the squadron has passed to Lt. Col. Troy Callahan, who previously served in Marine Operational Test and Evaluation Squadron One (VMX-1), according to II MEF’s statement.
Grieves “will be reassigned within II Marine Expeditionary Force,” the statement said.
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated Hope Hodge Seck's name. It has been corrected. (Updated 6/8/17, 7:48 pm EST).
Former Marine Commandant Gen. Charles Krulak has issued a statement urging President Donald Trump and members of Congress to oppose pardons for those accused or convicted of war crimes since, he argued, it would "relinquish the United States' moral high ground."
"If President Trump follows through on reports that he will mark Memorial Day by pardoning individuals accused or convicted of war crimes, he will betray these ideals and undermine decades of precedent in American military justice that has contributed to making our country's fighting forces the envy of the world," said Krulak, who served in the Marine Corps for more than three decades before retiring in 1999 as the 31st Commandant.
Editor's Note: The following story highlights a veteran atAssociated Materials. Committed to including talented members of the military community in its workplace, Associated Materials Incorporated is a client of Hirepurpose, a Task & Purpose sister company. Learn more here.
Associated Materials, a residential and commercial siding and window manufacturer based in Ohio, employs people from a variety of backgrounds. The company gives them an opportunity to work hard and grow within the organization. For Tim Betsinger, Elizabeth Dennis, and Tanika Carroll, all military veterans with wide-ranging experience, Associated Materials has provided a work environment similar to the military and a company culture that feels more like family than work.
President Donald Trump will nominate Barbara Barrett to serve as the next Air Force secretary, the president announced on Tuesday.
"I am pleased to announce my nomination of Barbara Barrett of Arizona, and former Chairman of the Aerospace Corporation, to be the next Secretary of the Air Force," Trump tweeted. "She will be an outstanding Secretary! #FlyFightWin"
The Trump administration is trying to assure Congress that it does not want to start a war with Iran, but some lawmakers who fought in Iraq are not so sure.
Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford both briefed Congress on Tuesday about Iran. Shanahan told reporters earlier on Tuesday that the U.S. military buildup in the region has stopped Iran and its proxies from attacking U.S. forces, but the crisis is not yet over.
"We've put on hold the potential for attacks on Americans," Shanahan said. "That doesn't mean that the threats that we've previously identified have gone away. Our prudent response, I think, has given the Iranians time to recalculate. I think our response was a measure of our will and our resolve that we will protect our people and our interests in the region."
U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Brian M. Wilbur/Handout via REUTERS
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump warned on Monday Iran would be met with "great force" if it attacked U.S. interests in the Middle East, and government sources said Washington strongly suspects Shi'ite militias with ties to Tehran were behind a rocket attack in Baghdad's Green Zone.
"I think Iran would be making a very big mistake if they did anything," Trump told reporters as he left the White House on Monday evening for an event in Pennsylvania. "If they do something, it will be met with great force but we have no indication that they will."