Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Florida National Guard second-in-command resigns amid allegations he 'actively concealed' soldiers' sexual misconduct and violence
The second-ranking commander of the Florida National Guard is resigning as Army officials investigate allegations that he covered up sexual misconduct and other violence committed against soldiers.
Brig. Gen. Mike Canzoneri, the assistant adjutant general based at the Guard's headquarters in St. Augustine, announced on Tuesday that he was stepping down to avoid distractions but maintained his innocence, according to the Military Times, which first reported his resignation.
The Tampa Bay Times has reported the Guard is under investigation by the Department of the Army's Office of Inspector General into allegations of sexual misconduct and efforts to conceal them.
Maj. Caitlin Brown, a spokeswoman for the Guard, said the investigation is ongoing and that no allegations against Canzoneri have been refuted or substantiated yet.
The Tampa Bay Times reported that Canzoneri was named in an explosive letter written to a South Florida lawmaker by Maj. Elliot Potter, a Tampa-based officer in the Guard's Judge Advocate General's Corps who researched the allegations and forwarded them to his superiors.
According to the Tampa Bay Times report, Potter alleged Canzoneri and another officer "have actively concealed evidence of sexual misconduct and other acts of violence." Canzoneri was also named by a former civilian contractor for the Guard who made sworn statements about a pattern of sexual misconduct and other wrongdoing committed by the Guard's leadership and rank-and-file.
The contractor, 46-year-old Shira Callahan, told investigators in October 2017 that Canzoneri, 56, approached her during a break at a 2011 conference and "slowly ran his hand from one side of my bare shoulder to the other," according to the Military Times.
During the same conference, Callahan said Canzoneri made sexual gestures to a female bartender. She also alleged that he ended a two-year affair with a female soldier and transferred her after she refused to have sex with his friends, and that he also covered up wrongdoing by another officer she named in complaints, who investigators found to have created an "intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment," according to the Military Times.
Canzoneri, who was promoted to his post in Dec. 2016, will be on administrative leave until the end of the month and will then enter the retired reserve, according to the Military Times.
©2019 The Florida Times-Union (Jacksonville, Fla.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
SEE ALSO: Military Sexual Assaults Have Reached A Four-year High As The Pentagon Downplays Its Failures
Two airmen from Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma, were killed on Thursday when two T-38 Talon training aircraft crashed during training mission, according to a message posted on the base's Facebook age.
The two airmen's names are being withheld pending next of kin notification.
A total of four airmen were onboard the aircraft at the time of the incident, base officials had previously announced.
The medical conditions for the other two people involved in the crash was not immediately known.
An investigation will be launched to determine the cause of the crash.
Emergency responders from Vance Air Force Base are at the crash scene to treat casualties and help with recovery efforts.
Read the entire message below:
VANCE AIR FORCE BASE, Okla. – Two Vance Air Force Base Airmen were killed in an aircraft mishap at approximately 9:10 a.m. today.
At the time of the accident, the aircraft were performing a training mission.
Vance emergency response personnel are on scene to treat casualties and assist in recovery efforts.
Names of the deceased will be withheld pending next of kin notification.
A safety investigation team will investigate the incident.
Additional details will be provided as information becomes available. #VanceUpdates.
This is a breaking news story. It will be updated as more information is released.
The commander of the Marine Corps' Wounded Warrior Regiment has been relieved over a loss of "trust and confidence in his ability to lead" amid an investigation into his conduct, a Corps official told Task & Purpose on Thursday.
Col. Lawrence F. Miller was removed from his post on Thursday morning and replaced with his executive officer, Lt. Col. Larry Coleman, who will serve as interim commander of the Quantico, Virginia based unit.
President Donald Trump has nixed any effort by the Navy to excommunicate Eddie Gallagher from the SEAL community.
"The Navy will NOT be taking away Warfighter and Navy Seal Eddie Gallagher's Trident Pin," the president tweeted on Thursday. "This case was handled very badly from the beginning. Get back to business!"
In an ideal world, Thanksgiving is spent at the dining room table, surrounded by beloved family, close friends, and good food. For U.S. service members, it's occasionally spent in the shit.
The Army has identified the two soldiers killed in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan on Wednesday as 33-year-old Chief Warrant Officer 2 David C. Knadle, and 25-year-old Chief Warrant Officer 2 Kirk T. Fuchigami Jr.