Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Former Nazi Camp Guard Finally Deported A Decade After His US Citizenship Was Revoked
A former Nazi labor camp guard who had been living in Queens was deported to Germany, more than a decade after his U.S. citizenship was revoked, the Department of Justice said Tuesday.
- Jakiw Palij, now 95, concealed his Nazi service when he immigrated to the United States in 1949, claiming he was a farmer and factory worker during the war, the DOJ said. He was granted U.S. citizenship in 1957.
- But years later, it was discovered that Palij trained and served at the Trawniki concentration camp, where 6,000 Jewish men, women and children were shot to death on November 3, 1943, in one of the single largest massacres of the Holocaust, the DOJ said.
- "By helping to prevent the escape of these prisoners during his service at Trawniki, Palij played an indispensable role in ensuring that they later met their tragic fate at the hands of the Nazis," the DOJ news release said.
- A federal judge revoked Palij's U.S. citizenship in 2003 and he was ordered deported in 2004. His deportation was stalled for years because no other country would accept him, according to New York lawmakers who wrote a letter last year urging then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to "personally step in to settle this long-standing injustice."
- After talks with top members of Chancellor Angela Merkel's government, Germany agreed to take him in.
- The U.S. Ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, said the deportation was the result of a concerted effort by President Donald Trump.
- "He (Trump) told me directly to make it a priority, to get the Nazi out," Grenell told reporters. "I felt very strongly that the German government had a moral obligation and they accepted that," he added, making clear it was up to Germany to decide whether to prosecute him.
- Palij arrived by military plane at Duesseldorf airport in western Germany and taken to a home for the elderly in the area, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper reported.
©2018 amNewYork. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
Three soldiers were killed and another three injured when their Bradley Fighting Vehicle rolled over during a training exercise at Fort Stewart in Georgia on Sunday morning, Army officials announced.
KABUL (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper arrived in Afghanistan on Sunday in a bid to bring talks with the Taliban back on track after President Donald Trump abruptly broke off negotiations last month seeking to end the United States' longest war.
Esper's trip to Kabul comes amid questions about the United States' commitments to allies after a sudden withdrawal of U.S. troops from northeastern Syria and Trump's long-time desire to get out of foreign engagements.
Mark Esper is the third person after James Mattis and Patrick Shanahan to helm the Pentagon since Donald Trump became president, and he's apparently not making much of an impression on the commander-and-chief.
On Sunday, Trump sent a very real tweet on "Secretary Esperanto," which is either a reference to a constructed international language developed more than 130 years ago and only spoken on the PA system in Gattaca or an egregious instance of autocorrect.
This rifle could be a dark horse candidate for the Army's next-generation squad weapon — and you can snag one next year
The Army says it's settled on three defense contractors to battle it out to become the service's M4 carbine and M249 Squad Automatic Weapon replacements, but at least one other company is hoping that a bit of consumer approval could help upset the competition.
The U.S. reportedly offered a long-term plan to help North Korea develop a tourist area in return for denuclearization during recent working-level talks in Stockholm that ended with the North side walking out, according to a new report.
American negotiators had drafted a plan to help build up the Kalma tourist area, the South's Hankook Ilbo newspaper reported Saturday, citing an unidentified top South Korean diplomat. The report didn't say how the North Koreans responded to the offer, but chief nuclear negotiator Kim Myong Gil portrayed the U.S. as inflexible after the talks earlier this month, blasting the Americans for not giving up "their old viewpoint and attitude."