Former San Diego master-at-arms gets 20 years for sex crimes against a minor

news
he amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8) returns to homeport at Naval Base San Diego on February 25, 2015. (U.S. Navy/ Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Corwin Colbert)

SAN DIEGO, Calif. — A former U.S. Navy sailor was sentenced to 20 years in prison Monday for having sexual contact with a 14-year-old Oceanside girl in 2017, federal prosecutors in San Diego said in a statement.


Isaiah B. Smallwood-Jackson, 23, was accused in September 2017 of sexual assault. He was a 21-year old Navy master-at-arms 3rd class assigned to the security detachment at Naval Base San Diego at the time of his arrest.

Prosecutors say Smallwood-Jackson began chatting with a then-14-year-old on Spotafriend, a teens-only mobile app whose terms of service do not allow users over the age of 19. To get around this, Smallwood-Jackson listed his age as 17, prosecutors said in a statement.

In chats with the girl, Smallwood-Jackson told her "Is it bad I don't care about your age?" and, in another text, asked her if she was ready to lose her virginity.

Prosecutors say the girl gave Smallwood-Jackson her address and told him she was nervous, to which he replied "take a leap of faith."

He went to her home in September 2017 and engaged in sexual acts with the girl outside of her home. After he left, the girl confided in her sister what had happened.

The sister called police.

Prosecutors said that just over 24 hours elapsed from Smallwood-Jackson's initial contact with the girl on the app to the sexual contact. Smallwood-Jackson was arrested on Sept. 21, 2017.

The case, initially in California state court, was shifted to the federal system because Smallwood-Jackson used "a facility and means of interstate commerce" — the internet — to contact the girl.

The victim's family told the court the girl was devastated by Smallwood-Jackson and is afraid to be out in public or around men.

Smallwood-Jackson was convicted of sexual exploitation and enticement of a minor in October.

Once released, Smallwood-Jackson will be supervised for 10 years and will have to register as a sex offender. He will not be allowed to access the internet unless monitored by probation officers.

Prosecutors said the case is a lesson for parents about the dangers online and the need to communicate with children about what they're doing.

"Defendant's abuse of a seemingly safe chat application for teens allowed (Smallwood-Jackson) access to this 14-year-old victim that he would not otherwise have had," prosecutors said in a statement. "Parents are urged to educate themselves and discuss these dangers with their children."

———

©2019 The San Diego Union-Tribune. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

A Marine wanted for killing his mother's boyfriend reportedly escaped police by hiding inside an RV they'd spent hours searching before towing it to a parking lot, where he escaped under the cover of darkness.

It wasn't until more than two weeks later authorities finally caught up to Michael Brown at his mom's home, which was the scene of the crime.

Brown stuffed himself into a tight spot in his camper during an hours-long search of the vehicle on Nov. 10, according to NBC affiliate WSLS in Virginia. A day earlier, cops said Brown fatally shot his mother's boyfriend, Rodney Brown. The AWOL Marine remained on the lam until Nov. 27, where he was finally apprehended without incident.

Read More Show Less

No motive is yet known for last week's Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard shooting tragedy, which appears to have been a random act of violence in which the sailor who fatally shot two civilian workers and himself did not know them and did not plan his actions ahead of time, shipyard commander Capt. Greg Burton said in an "All Hands" message sent out Friday.

Machinist's Mate Auxiliary Fireman Gabriel Antonio Romero of San Antonio, an armed watch-stander on the attack submarine USS Columbia, shot three civilian workers Dec. 4 and then turned a gun on himself while the sub rested in dry dock 2 for a major overhaul, the Navy said.

"The investigation continues, but there is currently no known motive and no information to indicate the sailor knew any of the victims," Burton said.

Read More Show Less
A projectile is fired during North Korea's missile tests in this undated picture released by North Korea's Central News Agency (KCNA) on November 28, 2019. (KCNA via Reuters)

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea said it had successfully conducted another test at a satellite launch site, the latest in a string of developments aimed at "restraining and overpowering the nuclear threat of the U.S.", state news agency KCNA reported on Saturday.

The test was conducted on Friday at the Sohae satellite launch site, KCNA said, citing a spokesman for North Korea's Academy of Defence Science, without specifying what sort of testing occurred.

Read More Show Less

Since the Washington Post first published the "Afghanistan papers," I have been reminded of a scene from "Apocalypse Now Redux" in which Army Col. Walter Kurtz reads to the soldier assigned to kill him two Time magazine articles showing how the American people had been lied to about Vietnam by both the Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon administrations.

In one of the articles, a British counterinsurgency expert tells Nixon that "things felt much better and smelled much better" during his visit to Vietnam.

"How do they smell to you, soldier?" Kurtz asks.

Read More Show Less
Erik Prince arrives for the New York Young Republican Club Gala at The Yale Club of New York City in Manhattan in New York City, New York, U.S., November 7, 2019. (REUTERS/Jeenah Moon)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Erik Prince, the controversial private security executive and prominent supporter of U.S. President Donald Trump, made a secret visit to Venezuela last month and met Vice President Delcy Rodriguez, one of socialist leader Nicolas Maduro's closest and most outspoken allies, according to five sources familiar with the matter.

Read More Show Less