Fort Detrick Gets First Female Installation Commander

news

Maj. Gen. Barbara Holcomb took the reins as Fort Detrick’s first female installation commander in a ceremony Thursday morning.


Holcomb succeeds Maj. Gen. Brian Lein, who served as installation commander for the past two years. At Fort Detrick, installation commanders also lead the U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command.

Holcomb is coming to Fort Detrick as the first nurse to serve as commander of the medical command, according to spokeswoman Chelsea Bauckman. Holcomb previously served as a deputy commanding general at the U.S. Army Medical Command at Joint Base San Antonio.

Installation commanders at Fort Detrick are much like mayors and oversee all operations within the post’s perimeter while fostering relationships with the surrounding community.

The medical command oversees multiple organizations, including some at Fort Detrick such as the U.S. Army Center for Environmental Health Research and the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.

Attendees fanned themselves with their programs in the heat Thursday as uniformed soldiers carried out marching orders on Blue and Gray Field at Fort Detrick.

Lt. Gen. Nadja West, the Army’s surgeon general, was the presiding officer at the change-of-command ceremony. “This is one of the most diverse and complex commands in all the Army,” West said.

She said she was proud of Lein’s leadership when the command was tasked with helping fight the Ebola outbreak in Africa. “Brian remained steadfast,” she said.

Lein said he considers himself lucky to have worked at Fort Detrick. “I’ve been extremely proud and humbled to lead this command and this organization for the past two years,” he said.

Lein is moving to the U.S. Army Medical Corps at Joint Base San Antonio. He will be chief of the corps and commanding general of the U.S. Army Medical Department Center and School.

“Thank you for keeping me full of chocolate, happy, on time and prepared,” he told his former colleagues.

Local leaders also attended the change-of-command ceremony.

Hood College President Andrea Chapdelaine said the college has “enjoyed a great partnership” with the post and MRMC under Lein. He enabled some collaborative research for students and faculty while he served as installation commander.

Frederick Mayor Randy McClement said Lein has been an enthusiastic presence at city events and as a community member. “He’s been a great partner,” McClement said.

Frederick County Executive Jan Gardner said Lein has been a valuable voice at the table, not just in logistical matters such as snow removal, but also in economic development.

She is enthusiastic about Holcomb’s selection. “I love that we have a woman commander,” Gardner said.

She said the county will support military leadership as the installation transitions to a new commander.

Lein addressed Holcomb in his departing remarks.

“Barb, I am so envious and jealous of you. This is now all yours,” he said.

Holcomb said she looks forward to getting to know the city of Frederick and getting in a few rounds of golf. “I’ve heard nothing but good things about the city of Frederick,” she said.

Holcomb grew up in Montana. She earned a bachelor’s degree in nursing at Seattle University and a master’s degree in nursing administration at the University of Kansas. She also earned a master’s degree in military strategic studies at the U.S. Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

Her husband, Max, also attended the ceremony.

Commanders typically serve two-year assignments with the option to apply to the Army for a one-year extension.

———

© 2016 The Frederick News-Post (Frederick, Md.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

(U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Stephane Belcher)

The 2020 National Defense Authorization Act would allow service members to seek compensation when military doctors make mistakes that harm them, but they would still be unable to file medical malpractice lawsuits against the federal government.

On Monday night, Congress announced that it had finalized the NDAA, which must be passed by the House and Senate before going to President Donald Trump. If the president signs the NDAA into law, it would mark the first time in nearly seven decades that U.S. military personnel have had legal recourse to seek payment from the military in cases of medical malpractice.

Read More Show Less
Maj. Jason Michael Musgrove (Lincoln County Sheriff's Office)

A major serving at U.S. Army Cyber Command has been charged with distributing child pornography, according to the Justice Department.

Maj. Jason Michael Musgrove, who is based at Fort Gordon, Georgia, has been remanded to the U.S. Marshals service, a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Georgia says.

Read More Show Less
Sailors from USS George Washington (CVN 73) wear-test the I-Boot 5 at Naval Station Norfolk. (U.S. Navy photo by Courtney Williams)

Navy senior leaders could decide whether or not to approve the new I-Boot 5 early in 2020, said Rob Carroll, director of the uniform matters office at the Chief of Naval Personnel's office.

"The I-Boot 5 is currently wrapping up its actual wear test, its evaluation," Carroll told Task & Purpose on Monday. "We're hoping that within the first quarter of calendar year 2020 that we'll be able to present leadership with the information that they need to make an informed decision."

Read More Show Less
Senator Jim Inhofe speaks with local reporters at a press conference held at the 138th Fighter Wing August 2, 2018. (U.S. National Guard/Staff Sgt. Rebecca R. Imwalle)

U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe and U.S. Rep. Kendra Horn leveled harsh criticism last week at the contractor accused of negligence and fraudulent activity while operating private housing at Tinker Air Force Base and other military installations.

Inhofe, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, referred to Balfour Beatty Communities as "notorious." Horn, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, told a company executive she was "incredibly disappointed you have failed to live up to your responsibility for taking care of the people that are living in these houses."

Read More Show Less
U.S. Senator Rick Scott speaks during a press conference at Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, April 29, 2019. (U.S. Air Force/Airman 1st Class Monica Roybal)

The Saudi national who killed three students on a U.S. Naval Air station in Pensacola was in the United States on a training exchange program.

On Sunday, Sen. Rick Scott said the United States should suspend that program, which brings foreign nationals to America for military training, pending a "full review."

Read More Show Less