LA gang members sentenced in slaying of Camp Pendleton Marine

news
Lance Cpl. Carlos Segovia Lopez (U.S. Marine Corps photo)

Two gang members were sentenced Monday for the senseless slaying of a 19-year-old Marine who saw them trying to break into a car in Los Angeles and confronted them, prosecutors said.

A judge sentenced 28-year-old Oscar Aguilar to 100 years to life in state prison and 31-year-old Esau Rios to 50 years to life in state prison for the first-degree murder on a dark street three years ago, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said.

The men shot and killed Lance Cpl. Carlos Segovia Lopez on Sept. 16, 2016, shortly after he left his girlfriend's house while on leave from Camp Pendleton, a jury found.

Aguilar approached Segovia at Rio's direction and shot him once in the head as the Marine was sitting in his car, according to court testimony.

Segovia was placed on life support with little brain function and died three days later at a hospital.

A third defendant, Ricky Valente, 21, pleaded no contest to one count of accessory after the fact in June 2018. He was later placed on three years of formal probation under the terms of a negotiated plea agreement.

Aguilar and Rios were known gang members, according to testimony.

All three defendants were residents of the neighborhood where the shooting occurred.

"They shot a Marine. They shot a community leader," family friend Claudia Perez previously told the Los Angeles Times. "It was not gang-on-gang violence like you normally see on South L.A. streets. He left a base to see his family and was murdered in the streets."

Mom Sandra Lopez told told NBC in Los Angeles that her son's death was a "big loss to the USA."

———

©2019 New York Daily News

Visit New York Daily News at www.nydailynews.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

KABUL/PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - The Taliban will implement a 10-day ceasefire with U.S. troops, a reduction in violence with Afghan forces and discussions with Afghan government officials if it reaches a deal with U.S. negotiators in talks in Doha, two sources have said.

If an agreement is sealed, it could revive hopes for a long-term solution to the conflict in Afghanistan.

Read More
U.S. Navy/Chief Mass Communication Specialist Dan Mennuto

The Defense Department announced on Friday that training would resume for international military students — once some additional policies and security measures were put in place.

Read More

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. House of Representatives committee renewed a threat on Friday to subpoena Secretary of State Mike Pompeo if he does not provide information about Iran policy and President Donald Trump's ordering of the strike that killed an Iranian military commander.

Representative Eliot Engel, the Democratic chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said he scheduled a public hearing with Pompeo for Wednesday, Jan. 29.

Read More
Abu Abdul Bari (Twitter/@AliBaroodi)

Iraqi security forces earlier this week captured a larger-than-life ISIS official so massive that authorities were forced to haul him off in the bed of a police pickup truck after his arrest.

Read More
An aerial view of the Pentagon building in Washington, June 15, 2005. (Reuters/Jason Reed JIR/CN)

THE PENTAGON — While speaking to reporters on Friday, Chief Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman dismissed the idea that soldiers' injuries from the Jan. 8 Iranian attack was downplayed in order to advance a "political agenda" and de-escalate the situation with Iran.

Read More