Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Watch This Good Guy With a Gun Drop An Armed Bank Robber From 2 Angles
Why do people still rob banks? It’s the 21st century. You can probably steal more money online with a few lines of code, and have an easier time getting away with it.
Also, if you try to rob a bank, you run the risk of meeting a security guard like Brian Harrison.
Authorities in Illinois last week released dramatic footage, from multiple camera angles, of Harrison being one cool motherfucking cucumber last January when he killed the hell out of an armed and extremely unprepared would-be bank robber.
The incident occurred Jan. 20 in a Rockford, Illinois, Alpine Bank, after Laurence Turner, 31, barged in wearing a mask and carrying a semiautomatic pistol. Cops say Turner, who had THC and opiates in his system, was suspected in armed robberies late last year on two other banks and a jewelry stop. Alpine Bank would be his last adventure.
The videos show that as soon as Turner stepped in the bank door, employees went diving for cover. He fired a shot into the ceiling, perhaps an attempt at intimidation. He did not see Harrison, the white-shirted Metro Security guard and recently retired Winnebago sheriff’s deputy, reach for the pistol on his right hip and put one shot immediately in Turner’s center of mass.
Harrison won the ensuing brief firefight easily. By the time it was done, the aspiring robber was expiring in the doorway, shot twice in Harrison’s organized fusillade.
"There is no doubt in my mind the actions of Brian Harrison saved the lives of those that were employees in the Alpine Bank location on that date and saved his own life," Winnebago County State's Attorney Joe Bruscato said last week in a press conference that unveiled the video and announced Harrison would face no charges in connection with the incident.
Harrison, who was placed on administrative leave pending investigation of the incident, is expected to be guarding the bank again this week. That’s Alpine Bank, where your deposits are safe — just please let Brian see your hands as you come in.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.
After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.
But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.
That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.
After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.
Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.
"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."
SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.
NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — The Air Force is reviewing whether some airmen's valor awards deserve to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor, Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said on Tuesday.
Goldfein revealed that several airmen are being considered for the nation's highest military award during a press conference at the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. He declined to say exactly who could receive the Medal of Honor, pending the outcome of the review process.