Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Ex-Special Forces Officer Sentenced To 10 Years For Abuse, Child Endangerment
Former Army Special Forces Maj. Jason M. Sartori was sentenced on Wednesday to 10 years confinement and dismissal from the service after being found guilty of abuse and child endangerment, according to Army Maj. Beth Riordan, a spokeswoman for 1st Special Forces Command.
Sartori, a former member of the 7th Special Forces Group, was found guilty on four specifications under Article 128, and two under Article 134. The names of those involved were redacted from the charge sheet, but Army Times reported that the victims were his wife and son.
He was found guilty of threatening his wife with a loaded firearm, strangling her "with a means likely to produce death or grievous bodily harm," and shoving her with his hands, according to the charge sheet. He was cleared on a charge that accused him of strangling the victim, but was found guilty of a lesser offense of assault consummated by a battery.
Sartori was also found guilty on two charges of bringing discredit upon the armed forces due to child endangerment: strangling his wife while she held their son, and "brandishing a loaded firearm" in his presence.
He was cleared on another charge of strangulation and one of unlawfully restraining her wrists. In addition to his conviction, Riordan confirmed that his Special Forces tab was revoked.
SEE ALSO: The US Military Is Officially Counting Domestic Violence As A Separate Crime For The First Time
WATCH NEXT: Check Out The 30mm Stryker Fighting Vehicle
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Friday that no U.S. troops will take part in enforcing the so-called safe zone in northern Syria and the United States "is continuing our deliberate withdrawal from northeastern Syria."
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan earlier on Friday said Turkey will set up a dozen observation posts across northeast Syria, insisting that a planned "safe zone" will extend much further than U.S. officials said was covered under a fragile ceasefire deal.
On Tuesday at the Association of the U.S. Army's annual conference, Army families had the opportunity to tell senior leaders exactly what was going on in their worlds — an opportunity that is, unfortunately, all too rare.
A new documentary series about Clint Lorance pits the infantry officer convicted of murder against his former soldiers
The fog of war, just kills, and war crimes are the focus of a new documentary series coming to STARZ. Titled Leavenworth, the six-part series profiles 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, the Army infantry officer who was convicted on murder charges for ordering his soldiers to fire on three unarmed Afghan men on a motorcycle, killing two and wounding the third, while deployed to the Zhari district in Kandahar province, on July 2, 2012.
A big stereotype surrounding U.S. service members and veterans is that they are defined only by their military service, from buying "Dysfunctional Veteran" t-shirts to playing hard-boiled, high-octane first-person shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty (we honestly have no idea where anyone could get that impression).
But the folks at OSD (formerly called Operation Supply Drop), a non-profit veteran service organization that aims to help troops and vets connect with each other through free video games, service programs and other activities, recently found that most of the gamers they've served actually prefer less military-centric fare like sports games and fantasy RPGs.
CEYLANPINAR, Turkey (Reuters) - Shelling could be heard at the Syrian-Turkish border on Friday morning despite a five-day ceasefire agreed between Turkey and the United States, and Washington said the deal covered only a small part of the territory Ankara aims to seize.
Reuters journalists at the border heard machine-gun fire and shelling and saw smoke rising from the Syrian border battlefield city of Ras al Ain, although the sounds of fighting had subsided by mid-morning.
The truce, announced on Thursday by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence after talks in Ankara with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, sets out a five-day pause to let the Kurdish-led SDF militia withdraw from an area controlled by Turkish forces.
The SDF said air and artillery attacks continued to target its positions and civilian targets in Ral al Ain.
"Turkey is violating the ceasefire agreement by continuing to attack the town since last night," SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali tweeted.
The Kurdish-led administration in the area said Turkish truce violations in Ras al Ain had caused casualties, without giving details.