Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Guantanamo Bay admiral fired due to loss of confidence
The commander of the joint task force that operates the detention camps at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, has been fired, U.S. Southern Command announced Sunday.
Rear Adm. John Ring, commander of Joint Task Force-Guantanamo, was relieved Saturday by SOUTHCOM commander Adm. Craig Faller due to a loss of confidence in his ability to command, officials said in a release. Army Brig. Gen. John Hussey, deputy commander of JTF-GTMO, is now serving as acting commander.
"This change in leadership will not interrupt the safe, humane, legal care and custody provided to the detainee population at GTMO," officials said in a statement.
A spokesman for SOUTHCOM told Military.com that Ring has been temporarily assigned duties at the command's Miami headquarters pending forthcoming permanent reassignment. He would not comment on the reasons for Ring's relief or any additional actions that might be taken.
Ring took command of JTF-GTMO in April 2018. A naval flight officer, he was commissioned in 1988 and previously served as the executive assistant to the Navy's director of air warfare. He has also completed command tours with the carrier Nimitz, the dock landing ship Comstock, and Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 113.
According to his command biography, Ring's awards include the Legion of Merit, Defense Meritorious Service Medal and Meritorious Service Medal, and he is a past recipient of Hawkeye NFO of the Year and the Navy and Marine Association peer selected leadership award.
JTF-GTMO has had 17 commanders since its creation in 2002.
Guantanamo Bay currently houses 40 detainees.
This article originally appeared on Military.com
More articles from Military.com:
- Army's New Promotion System Could Mean Separations for Some Soldiers
- Army Colonel Dies Helping Stranded Motorist in Virginia
- Air Force Captain Who Allegedly Tried to Lure a Child Was Caught in Sting
WATCH NEXT: Return To The USS Cole
The command chief of the 20th Fighter Wing at Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina, was removed from his position last month after his chain of command received evidence he disrespected his subordinates.
Editor's Note: The following is an op-ed. The opinions expressed are those of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Task & Purpose.
The "suck it up and drive on" mentality permeated our years in the U.S. military and often led us to delay getting both physical and mental health care. As veterans, we now understand that engaging in effective care enables us not just to survive but to thrive. Crucially, the path to mental wellness, like any serious journey, isn't accomplished in a day — and just because you need additional or recurring mental health care doesn't mean your initial treatment failed.
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Radio Free Europe/Radio Free Liberty.
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has called on the security alliance's allies to maintain and strengthen their "unity," saying the organization is "the only guarantor of European and transatlantic security."
Stoltenberg told reporters on November 19 that NATO "has only grown stronger over the last 70 years" despite "differences" among the allies on issues such as trade, climate, the Iran nuclear deal, and the situation in northeastern Syria.
He was speaking at the alliance's headquarters in Brussels on the eve of a NATO foreign ministers meeting aimed at finalizing preparations for next month's summit in London.
WASHINGTON — More than $35 million of the roughly $400 million in aid to Ukraine that President Donald Trump delayed, sparking the impeachment inquiry, has not been released to the country, according to a Pentagon spending document obtained by the Los Angeles Times.
Instead, the defense funding for Ukraine remains in U.S. accounts, according to the document. It's not clear why the money hasn't been released, and members of Congress are demanding answers.
The admiral in charge of Navy special operators will decide whether to revoke the tridents for Eddie Gallagher and other SEALs involved in the Navy's failed attempt to prosecute Gallagher for murder, a defense official said Tuesday.
The New York Times' David Philipps first reported on Tuesday that the Navy could revoke the SEAL tridents for Gallagher as well as his former platoon commander Lt. Jacob Portier and two other SEALs: Lt. Cmdr. Robert Breisch and Lt. Thomas MacNeil.
The four SEALs will soon receive a letter that they have to appear before a board that will consider whether their tridents should be revoked, a defense official told Task & Purpose on condition of anonymity.