This Heroic National Guardsman Risked His Life To Rescue A Woman From A Flaming, Exploding Wreck

news
Staff Sgt. Cory Hinkle poses for a photo with Brandy Guin days after pulling her from a burning vehicle following a head-on collision.
Twitter photo via WBTV

An Army National Guardsman’s heroism on the side of a Charlotte, North Carolina freeway last week has earned him widespread acclaim, and with good reason.


As Staff Sgt. Cory Hinkle was on his way home, he happened to witness a head-on collision on Boiling Springs Highway in Shelby, on Sept. 18, reports Fox News.

“I saw the cars in front of me just slam into each other and dust and smoke go everywhere,” Hinkle told local news station WBTV.

A veteran of the Iraq war, Hinkle’s training immediately kicked in as smoke billowed from one of the vehicles. Hinkle pulled off to the side of the road and made his way to the wreck, where he saw one of the drivers, 28-year-old Brandy Guin, trapped inside with a broken ankle.

Related: The Soldier And His Sons Who Saved A Teenage Car Accident Victim »

Hinkle pulled Guin from the vehicle as it caught fire, and a bad situation took a dramatic turn for the worse.

“As the fire started to spread in my car, the shocks started to explode and hot debris was flying everywhere,” Guin told WBTV from her hospital bed. But it’s what Hinkle did next that has caught the attention of so many.

“He shielded me with his body and said ‘It’s going to have to go through me to get to you,” Guin said.

Hinkle covered Guin with his body as metal debris flew past. One piece struck him in the ankle, leaving it swollen.

“I’ve been in the military for 15 years,” Hinkle told the Shelby Star. “It’s instinct for me. I made the decision right then that if something came off the car, it’d have to go through me first.”

Since the accident, Hinkle has visited Guin in the hospital where she is recovering from a broken ankle and a facial fracture, reports the Shelby Star. The other driver in the accident has been charged with traveling left of center on the road.

“It takes a lot for a person to lay down their body and protect someone they’ve never met. There’s not a lot of people out there like him,” Guin said. “Those soldiers know how to step up.”

WATCH NEXT:

New London — Retired four-star general John Kelly said that as President Donald Trump's chief of staff, he pushed back against the proposal to deploy U.S. troops to the southern border, arguing at the time that active-duty U.S. military personnel typically don't deploy or operate domestically.

"We don't like it," Kelly said in remarks at the Coast Guard Academy on Thursday night. "We see that as someone else's job meaning law enforcement."

Read More Show Less
Photo: Iran

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Yemen's Houthi rebel group, part of a regional network of militants backed by Iran, claims to be behind the drone strikes on two Saudi oil facilities that have the potential to disrupt global oil supplies.

A report from the United Nations Security Council published in January suggests that Houthi forces have obtained more powerful drone weaponry than what was previously available to them, and that the newer drones have the capability to travel greater distances and inflict more harm.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Air Force has selected two companies to make an extreme cold-weather boot for pilots as part of a long-term effort to better protect aviators from frostbite in emergencies.

In August the service awarded a contract worth up to $4.75 million to be split between Propel LLC and the Belleville Boot Company for boots designed keep pilots' feet warm in temperatures as low as -20 Fahrenheit without the bulk of existing extreme cold weather boots, according to Debra McLean, acquisition program manager for Clothing & Textiles Domain at Air Force Life Cycle Management Command's Agile Combat Support/Human Systems Division.

Read More Show Less

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran rejected accusations by the United States that it was behind attacks on Saudi oil plants that risk disrupting world energy supplies and warned on Sunday that U.S. bases and aircraft carriers in the region were in range of its missiles.

Yemen's Houthi group claimed responsibility for Saturday's attacks that knocked out more than half of Saudi oil output or more than 5% of global supply, but U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the assault was the work of Iran, a Houthi ally.

Read More Show Less
Maj. Matthew Golsteyn in Afghanistan. (Photo courtesy of Philip Stackhouse.)

Nearly a decade after he allegedly murdered an unarmed Afghan civilian during a 2010 deployment, the case of Army Maj. Matthew Golsteyn is finally going to trial.

Read More Show Less