After Navy veteran Jack Holder, had his life savings stolen in a sweepstakes scam, a GoFundMe page created in his name raised enough money to cover his losses, with some to spare.
According to The Arizona Republic, the 94-year-old Pearl Harbor survivor from Sun Lakes, Arizona, received a phone call in March telling him he had won Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes and would receive $4.7 million, as well as a new Mercedes Benz. First, he just needed to provide some personal information and open up a new bank account.
The scammers then told Holder he had to pay taxes before he was given his prizes, and so he and his fiancée wrote several checks totalling $43,000.
Within a week, the thieves made off with the money.
“This was the worst day of my life," Holder told The Arizona Republic, and that says a lot, considering all he’s gone through.
Holder was stationed at Pearl Harbor as a flight engineer when the Japanese military attacked on Dec. 7, 1941. The following year his flight crew took part in the Battle of Midway, and later served in the skies over Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands. In 1943, while stationed in Devonshire, England, Holder flew 56 missions over the English Channel and engaged German war planes in aerial combat. Holder also lived through a plane crash in the 1960s that left him hospitalized and lost his wife of 69 years to Alzheimer’s disease in 2014.
U.S. troops rejoice — the midnight curfew for service members in South Korea has been temporarily suspended, as command evaluates if you can be trusted to not act like wild animals in the streets of Pyeongtaek.
Late last month Activision's Infinity Ward dropped a teaser trailer for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare — a soft-reboot of one of it's most beloved games — and just two weeks after the May 30 reveal, the game developer unveiled some new details on what's in store for the first-person shooter's multiplayer: Juggernaut and ghillie suits!
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - At least 30 people have been killed in a triple suicide attack in northeast Nigerian state of Borno, state emergency officials said on Monday, in the biggest mass killing this year by suicide bombers.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.