Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
New Reports Document Hazing At Both Marine Corps Recruit Depots
Since 2014, two drill instructors at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego in California have been disciplined for hazing Marine Recruits, according to copies of the investigation obtained by Schogol.
One hazing incident involved a drill instructor choking six recruits between June and July of 2015. A recruit told an investigator that he was grabbed by the throat and picked up, forcing him to stand on his toes to breathe. The event left the recruit feeling paranoid, unfocused and depressed, according to Military Times. Five days after the incident, the recruit told another drill instructor and was sent to the hospital for a mental health screening and evaluation, writes Schogol. The drill instructor involved has since been administratively separated from the Marine Corps, according to the Times.
In another incident, a drill instructor received nonjudicial punishment and was removed from training duties, after he ordered recruits into the shower, some naked and others clothed, and told them to cram into one side — an order at boot camp commonly referred to as going “nuts to butts.”
In a Twitter post on May 3, Lamothe posted a partial copy of the investigation, in which one recruit described being stuck in a crowd of more than 40 fully or partially nude trainees in graphic detail.
— Dan Lamothe (@DanLamothe) May 3, 2017
Afterward, recruits expressed mixed feelings about the incident; some said they felt uncomfortable with the skin-on-skin contact, while some said it wasn’t intentional, and others didn’t think it “was a big deal,” according to the Post.
“During the incident I felt uncomfortable and like I was not a man, because it was humiliating,” one recruit said in an interview, according to the Post. “I know I would never let something like this happen if I was in control of the situation.”
On a questionnaire from the Marine Corps’ Criminal Investigative Division obtained by Military Times, another recruit wrote that the drill instructors’ “treatment did not affect” him in “a significant way,” adding that “it is boot camp and the yelling and craziness is something that comes with it.”
The news comes just a day after the Post published a story on hazing at Parris Island, South Carolina, which revealed that in one extreme case, a recruit suffered severe chemical burns after he was ordered to exercise on a bleach-covered floor and forced to remain in his wet uniform.
The recruit’s burns were so severe he needed skin grafts to his buttocks; medical examiners told him the incident had “liquefied” his skin.
A former sailor who was busted buying firearms with his military discount and then reselling some of them to criminals is proving to be a wealth of information for federal investigators.
Julio Pino used his iPhone to record most, if not all, of his sales, court documents said. He even went so far as to review the buyers' driver's license on camera.
It is unclear how many of Pino's customer's now face criminal charges of their own. Federal indictments generally don't provide that level of detail and Assistant U.S. Attorney William B. Jackson declined to comment.
It all began with a medical check.
Carson Thomas, a healthy and fit 20-year-old infantryman who had joined the Army after a brief stint in college, figured he should tell the medics about the pain in his groin he had been feeling. It was Feb. 12, 2012, and the senior medic looked him over and decided to send him to sick call at the base hospital.
It seemed almost routine, something the Army doctors would be able to diagnose and fix so he could get back to being a grunt.
Now looking back on what happened some seven years later, it was anything but routine.
The US military now has to ask the Iraqis for permission before giving close air support to troops in combat
U.S. forces must now ask the Iraqi military for permission to fly in Iraqi airspace before coming to the aid of U.S. troops under fire, a top military spokesman said.
However, the mandatory approval process is not expected to slow down the time it takes the U.S. military to launch close air support and casualty evacuation missions for troops in the middle of a fight, said Army Col. James Rawlinson, a spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve.
Army Spc. Clayton James Horne died in Saudi Arabia on Aug. 17, making him the eighth non-combat fatality for Operation Inherent Resolve so far this year, defense officials have announced.
Horne, 23, was assigned to the 351st Military Police Company, 160th Military Police Battalion, an Army Reserve unit based in Ocala, Florida, a Pentagon news release says.
The soldier who was arrested for taking an armored personnel carrier on a slow-speed police chase through Virginia has been found not guilty by reason of insanity on two charges, according to The Richmond-Times Dispatch.
Joshua Phillip Yabut, 30, entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle — in this case, a 12-ton APC taken from Fort Pickett in June 2018 — and violating the terms of his bond, which stemmed from a trip to Iraq he took in March 2019 (which was not a military deployment).