Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Here’s Everything We Know About The Deadly Fort Bragg Explosion So Far
On the morning of Sept. 14, a blast reportedly rocked Fort Bragg, North Carolina, injuring a number of soldiers under Army Special Operations Command so badly that they required evacuation to Womack Army Medical Center by helicopter.
Local WRAL first reported that 15 soldiers were wounded as a result of the incident at Range 76 — the base’s live-fire training range. Later, the Army reduced the number of injured soldiers to eight. (Army Special Operations Command spokesman Lt. Col. Rob Bockholt told Task & Purpose he could not confirm the location of the mishap, or even that there was an explosion. “Nobody said that there was an explosion,” Bockholt told Task & Purpose. “There are eight injured, and what happened is under investigation.”)
BREAKING: Army spokesman says special operations soldiers injured in explosion during training at North Carolina's Fort Bragg.
— The Associated Press (@AP) September 14, 2017
Now, the Army has confirmed that one soldier, Staff Sgt. Alexander P. Dalida, has died as a result of his injuries. The identities and conditions of the other seven victims remain unknown. The soldiers were reportedly students from the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School, and the incident took place during a demolition training exercise.
“The special operations community is a close-knit family,” Maj. Gen. Kurt Sonntag, commander of the school, told NBC News. “Staff Sgt. Dalida's death is a reminder that a soldier's job is inherently dangerous. Our thoughts and prayers are with Staff Sgt. Dalida's family and friends.”
Fort Bragg is the largest Army base in the world, home to more than 50,000 active-duty soldiers, Special Operations Command, Army Forces Command, Army Reserve Command, and the famed 82nd Airborne Division.
Task & Purpose will update this story as more information becomes available.
New London — Retired four-star general John Kelly said that as President Donald Trump's chief of staff, he pushed back against the proposal to deploy U.S. troops to the southern border, arguing at the time that active-duty U.S. military personnel typically don't deploy or operate domestically.
"We don't like it," Kelly said in remarks at the Coast Guard Academy on Thursday night. "We see that as someone else's job meaning law enforcement."
These 'kamikaze' drones are believed to be the culprits of the attacks on 2 Saudi oil fields. Here's what we know about them
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Yemen's Houthi rebel group, part of a regional network of militants backed by Iran, claims to be behind the drone strikes on two Saudi oil facilities that have the potential to disrupt global oil supplies.
A report from the United Nations Security Council published in January suggests that Houthi forces have obtained more powerful drone weaponry than what was previously available to them, and that the newer drones have the capability to travel greater distances and inflict more harm.
The U.S. Air Force has selected two companies to make an extreme cold-weather boot for pilots as part of a long-term effort to better protect aviators from frostbite in emergencies.
In August the service awarded a contract worth up to $4.75 million to be split between Propel LLC and the Belleville Boot Company for boots designed keep pilots' feet warm in temperatures as low as -20 Fahrenheit without the bulk of existing extreme cold weather boots, according to Debra McLean, acquisition program manager for Clothing & Textiles Domain at Air Force Life Cycle Management Command's Agile Combat Support/Human Systems Division.
DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran rejected accusations by the United States that it was behind attacks on Saudi oil plants that risk disrupting world energy supplies and warned on Sunday that U.S. bases and aircraft carriers in the region were in range of its missiles.
Yemen's Houthi group claimed responsibility for Saturday's attacks that knocked out more than half of Saudi oil output or more than 5% of global supply, but U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the assault was the work of Iran, a Houthi ally.
Nearly a decade after he allegedly murdered an unarmed Afghan civilian during a 2010 deployment, the case of Army Maj. Matthew Golsteyn is finally going to trial.