Screenshot from Call of Duty: Black Ops III - “Shadows of Evil” Zombies reveal trailer
Screenshot via YouTube
Editor’s Note: The following article highlights Activision Blizzard, a video game publisher. Committed to filling its ranks with talented members of the military community, Activision Blizzard is a Hirepurpose client. Learn more here.
This storied first-person shooter franchise is offering a chance to be a part of video game history.
Activation Blizzard, in partnership with Omaze, is holding a donation contest for a chance to be scanned in as a zombie and get your name in a future Call of Duty: Black Ops III’s Zombies downloadable content pack. The winner will also have the opportunity to visit the developers of Black Ops III, Treyarch Studios, sitting down to lunch with studio head Mark Lamia and members of his team. Donations will benefit the Call of Duty Endowment, Activision Blizzard’s venture philanthropy effort to fund charities that are most effective at veteran job placement.
Treyarch’s Zombies mode initially started as an Easter Egg unlock in 2008’s Call of Duty: World At War --- and it almost didn’t make it into the game. It proved to be wildly popular, and launched several downloadable Zombies experiences, which has spawned a hardcore, loyal following.
The co-operative game mode has become a staple of Treyarch’s Call of Duty titles, appearing in the previous two entries in the Black Ops series.
The Zombies mode has always featured over-the-top characters, as well as famed Hollywood voice talent and Black Ops III will be no different. In its recent “Shadows of Evil” trailer, Treyarch unveiled it’s noir-infused vision for Zombies, along with the voice cast of Jeff Goldblum, Heather Graham, Neal McDonough, and Ron Perlman.
In addition to the chance to be virtually zombied in Blacks Ops III, there are many other rewards for different donation levels. For more information and instructions on how to enter, visit the Omaze page.
Watch studio head Mark Lamia talk more about the campaign below.
Photo: US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
A former sailor who was busted buying firearms with his military discount and then reselling some of them to criminals is proving to be a wealth of information for federal investigators.
Julio Pino used his iPhone to record most, if not all, of his sales, court documents said. He even went so far as to review the buyers' driver's license on camera.
It is unclear how many of Pino's customer's now face criminal charges of their own. Federal indictments generally don't provide that level of detail and Assistant U.S. Attorney William B. Jackson declined to comment.
Carson Thomas, a healthy and fit 20-year-old infantryman who had joined the Army after a brief stint in college, figured he should tell the medics about the pain in his groin he had been feeling. It was Feb. 12, 2012, and the senior medic looked him over and decided to send him to sick call at the base hospital.
It seemed almost routine, something the Army doctors would be able to diagnose and fix so he could get back to being a grunt.
Now looking back on what happened some seven years later, it was anything but routine.
U.S. Army Cpt. Katrina Hopkins and Chief Warrant Officer 2 James Rogers, assigned to Task Force Warhorse, pilot a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter during a medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) operation at Camp Taji, Iraq, Dec. 18, 2018. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Javion Siders)
U.S. forces must now ask the Iraqi military for permission to fly in Iraqi airspace before coming to the aid of U.S. troops under fire, a top military spokesman said.
However, the mandatory approval process is not expected to slow down the time it takes the U.S. military to launch close air support and casualty evacuation missions for troops in the middle of a fight, said Army Col. James Rawlinson, a spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve.
The soldier who was arrested for taking an armored personnel carrier on a slow-speed police chase through Virginia has been found not guilty by reason of insanity on two charges, according to The Richmond-Times Dispatch.
Joshua Phillip Yabut, 30, entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle — in this case, a 12-ton APC taken from Fort Pickett in June 2018 — and violating the terms of his bond, which stemmed from a trip to Iraq he took in March 2019 (which was not a military deployment).