The U.S.-led coalition fighting ISIS in Syria has relocated its M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) from Jordan to the At Tanf training garrison in the southern part of the country, the site of several defensive strikes against militants loyal to the Bashar al-Assad that have raised the specter of an outright war with the Syrian government, CNN reports.
Three Department of Defense officials told CNN that the HIMARS was moved into the region in response to pro-regime militias “deploying their own artillery” around the 55-kilometer At Tanf deconfliction zone on the Iraq-Syria border. The HIMARS was previously deployed in Turkey, Jordan, and Iraq to support the Syrian Democratic Forces’ siege of ISIS jihadis in their northern capital of Raqqa.
The deployment of the truck-mounted HIMARS, which can target enemies up to 70 kilometers away with an armament of six 227mm M270 rockets, marks a major escalation at the At Tanf garrison, previously utilized by U.S. and British special operations forces to train Syrian rebels in anti-ISIS tactics.
U.S.-led forces stationed at At Tanf as part of Operation Inherent Resolve have conducted three airstrikes in as many weeks in response to militia incursions into the deconfliction zone. On May 18, coalition forces bombed a pro-regime convoy; on June 6, they destroyed two artillery pieces and an anti-aircraft weapon; on June 8, strikes targeted two technicals that once against veered into coalition territory.
Shortly after media outlets reported on the third set of strikes on June 8, OIR officials announced that a F-15E Strike Eagle had shot down an Iranian-made unmanned aerial vehicle “about the size of an MQ-1 Predator” operated by pro-regime forces that “dropped one of several weapons it was carrying” near a coalition position.
After each incident at the At Tanf deconfliction zone, OIR spokesman Col. Ryan S. Dillon stated that while OIR “does not seek to fight Syrian regime or pro-regime forces,” coalition forces “remain ready to defend ourselves against any threat.”
Testifying before the Senate Armed Services Committee on June 13, Secretary of Defense James Mattis reaffirmed Dillon’s statement, arguing that that the escalating bombardments against pro-regime militias are “self-defense strikes.”
“The commander on the ground has the authority to take whatever action necessary,” said Mattis, “and I support that.”
But given the strategic importance of the territory surrounding At Tanf, it’s likely that tensions around the deconfliction zone will only climb. As Task & Purpose’s Danny Leffler observed after the double strikes of June 8, the steady ebbing of ISIS militants around major strongholds like Mosul in Iraq and Raqqa in northern Syria has offered an opening for closer coordination between the Assad regime and its regional partner, Iran.
The targeted pro-regime fighters may simply prove an occasional nuisance to the coalition forces at At Tanf. But if Damascus and Tehran continue to test OIR’s mettle, the addition of HIMARS to the At Tanf garrison might prove a worthy precaution.
Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.
U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Karl Munson pilots a 26-foot boat while Petty Officer 2nd Class Gabriel Diaz keeps an eye on a boarding team who is inspecting a 79-foot shrimp boat in the Gulf of Mexico, off the coast of New Orleans, La., on April 27, 2005
Radio transmissions to the U.S. Coast Guard are usually calls for help from boaters, but one captain got on the radio recently just to say thanks to the men and women who are currently working without pay.
DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, Del (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump traveled to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Saturday to receive the remains of four Americans killed in a suicide bombing in northern Syria.
Trump, locked in a battle with congressional Democrats that has led to a nearly month-long partial government shutdown, announced his trip via a pre-dawn tweet, saying he was going "to be with the families of 4 very special people who lost their lives in service to our Country!"
Former President George W. Bush is calling for an end to the partial government shutdown, which is about to hit the one-month mark and is currently the longest shutdown in US history.
In an appeal made on Instagram, the 43rd president called on "leaders on both sides to put politics aside, come together, and end this shutdown." The caption was posted with an image of him and former First Lady Laura Bush giving pizza to their Secret Service detail.